Plan International is recruiting for…
Plan International is evolving in response to shifts in international development and humanitarian response. We are doing this so we can continue to make a stand for children’s rights. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for and respond to crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. Having identified girls as the most marginalised group, they will be our ongoing focus as we work towards helping 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive within their communities. As we embark on this ambitious and exciting journey, we are recruiting for talent across the globe.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Gender Based Violent Officer
Reports to: Project Manager – IHA-GAC Project
- The purpose of this role is to coordinate and support all Gender Based Violence Case Management related activities
- The post holder will supervise a team of 9 Case Workers based in Mongono, Dikwa and Bama LGAs of Borno and will ensure Plan International GBV Case Management support to S/GBV survivors meets the inter-agency guidelines for case management and the minimum standards for child protection and Gender Based Violence in humanitarian actions
- The GBV Officer will be supervised directly by the Project Manager and technically supervised by the CPiE Specialist
Dimensions of Role
- Communicates within Plan International Nigeria and with partners and related government institutions
- The post holder will manage Plan International GBV Case Management activities interfacing with other programme team members. The post holder will als contribute towards the capacity building of Plan Internationals implementing partners and community volunteers including stakeholders at LGA and community level.
- Key End Results and typical Responsibilities
- Programme development & Quality Management
In collaboration with the Field Team, Project Manager and CPiE Specialist, the GBV Officer will be responsible:
- To ensure GBV survivors including child survivors and those at risk of GBV are identified and receive individual case management support by ensuring standard tools and procedures are in place and adhered to by case management team members.
- To manage, provide training and technical support to, and build the capacity of the full case management team.
- To coordinate with other GBV service providers on case management.
- Provide technical and management leadership to Case Workers in accordance with best practice and Plan policies, including its survivor and child-centered community-based approach.
- Ensure that solid case management, referral and information management systems are in place for appropriate identification, responses and follow-up for survivors of GBV
- Ensure regular communication with Project Manager and CPiE Specialist to integrate appropriate GBV in emergencies priorities in program design
- Ensure regular individual supervision, case review meetings with case workers and case conferences are conducted to reflect on progress and to accommodate the lessons learned and improve case management system accordingly.
- Ensure the [GBV IMS Database] is set up, regularly updated, analyzed for trends in the caseload, and efficiently and confidentially managed in collaboration with the GBV IMS
- Officer [and relevant partner organizations (e.g. Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development, UNFPA and UNICEF)].
- Provide support to reintegration activities especially for women, girls and boys formerly associated with armed groups in collaboration with humanitarian agencies
- Conduct regular capacity assessment and capacity building including coaching and mentoring of Case Workers to improve on the quality of Case Management.
- Collaborate with other project staff to ensure referrals to ther services such as psychosocial support, Mental health and education/livelihoods interventions
Staff Supervision & Development:
- Directly supervises Case Workers
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance tenable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Ensure timely completion and submission of regular program and staff reporting and annual performance reviews, as appropriate
- Assist with the recruitment of Case Workers.
- Ensure training, support and ongoing capacity building opportunities for Case Workers Provide evaluations on Case Workers performance in accordance with Plan Policies and Guidelines.
- Ensure that all Plan policies are upheld, as well as Emergency Gender Based Violence
- Guidelines, Minimum Standards for Child Protection in Humanitarian Action, GBV Case Management Standard Operating Procedure and Core Humanitarian Standards
- Grant Planning & Implementation
- Produce weekly and monthly data and regular narrative reports for different stakeholders and information to feed into donor narrative report
- Supports implementation and ensure adherence to monitoring and evaluation plans.
Monitoring & Reporting:
- Initiate regular, participatory assessments/feedback surveys with client communities.
- Provide inputs into and consolidate weekly, monthly and quarterly progress reports on the Case Management activities; Submit reports for all field activities, trainings and meetings.
- Maintain effective and efficient oversight, quality control and reporting systems and processes that ensure regular field monitoring and modifications as required.
- Contribute thigh-quality Plan International and donor reports on activities, indicators and achievements, as well as best practices and lessons learned.
- Coordination & Representation
- Actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders, including donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors.
- Regularly attend LGA level GBV sub-working group meetings, Case Management meetings at appropriate levels to contribute to coordinator of case management responses across agencies.
- Contribute to the development of the CP/GBV program strategic direction for responding tin need of women, girls, boys and men.
- Contribute to proposal development activities (narrative and budget) through providing information from the ground and participation in rapid assessments.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of field teams; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to Plan International management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for Plan programs
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor tenable and develop Plan programs
Human Resource Development:
- Supports the orientation, on-going development/training and builds capacity of local partner staff and Case Workers when required.
- Learning and knowledge management
- Shares relevant information within the team establishing and supporting the proper documentation of activities
- Participates in regional/national projects/networks as requested.
- Resource Mobilisation
- Support resource mobilization efforts by supporting proposal preparation and related engagement.
Dealing with Problems:
- Ability to manage competing priorities and expectations from internal and external stakeholders and remain calm and resilient in the face of pressure.
- Manage multiple and work with distant colleagues to form a virtual efficient administration team;
- Use Plan procedures to settle conflicts among colleagues;
- Resolve problems that are not covered by established process.
- Analyse possible causes of problems and suggest solutions to get them resolved.
- Refer, whenever necessary, the case to the Child Protection in Emergencies Specialist for consideration.
- Communications and Working Relationships:
- Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
- Support the preparation of reports for domestic and international consumption.
- Provide timely responses concerning queries linked with relevant projects or programmes.
- Report to the IHA/GAC project manager;
- Provide support tPlan International Nigeria’s programme delivery and resource mobilization.
- Work with other members of the programme units to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery.
Qualifications and Experience
- B.A or equivalent in Social Science, Social Work, Psychology, Public Health, Human Rights or related Degree desired
- At least 3 years’ experience in implementing child protection or Gender Based Violence programs, preferable social work or case management, in humanitarian or development settings
- At least 2 years direct experience providing services to children at risk and survivors of abuse, exploitation and violence, providing gender-sensitive and child-friendly counseling services, and/or developing/implementing referral pathways and case management systems
- Previous experience supervising and managing a team in a cross-cultural setting especially Case Workers
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building and mentoring of staff
- Previous experience in emergency preparedness and response
- Experience working with case files and databases and providing regular documentation preferred
Skills & Knowledge:
- Demonstrated understanding of the skills necessary to work with children and particularly vulnerable children
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems, think and plan strategically, and communicate with key actors in a dynamic and unpredictable operating environment
- Excellent community mobilization skills
- Strong skills in monitoring, evaluation, research and conducting participatory, community-led assessments.
- Knowledge of Sphere and established international child protection/GBV standards, methodology and tools
- Knowledge of community mobilization and facilitation techniques
- Computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Ability and willingness twork in a participatory manner with a diverse range of client communities
- Personal qualities: Team player, clear communicator, flexible, network-builder, able to handle pressure well under minimal supervision, and a commitment to child rights and gender equality
- Fluency in written and spoken English and knowledge of local language (Hausa, Kanuri) strongly desired
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of operations and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Provides good and adequate administrative and logistical support tenable programmes to meet meets it’s agreed financial and program outcomes.
- Actively seeks for support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution town work and Organisational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning
Physical Environment and Demands
- Based in Mongono, Born State with frequent field visits to Dikwa and Bama LGAs to implement and supervise programme activities. Plan International operates in volatile environment and candidate must be willing to travel tand spend long time in places like Gwoza, Pulka, Mafa Central, Askira Uba, Mongono, Dikwa and Bama.
Level of Contact with Children:
- High contact- the job responsibilities of this position require the post holder thave very frequent contact with children. It is expected that children shall be protected at all times.
Application Closing Date
22nd May, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV’s and a Statement of Interest responding to how they have demonstrated the above listed values in the course of their career to: Maiduguri.Recruitment@plan-international.org Indicate the Job Title and Location as subject if the mail.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Sent all applications as specified above.