I’m pleased to inform you that there is ongoing employment at Mercy Corps Nigeria Latest Job Vacancy for Program Officer – Conflict Management and Stabilization.
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps has worked since 2012 by focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Officer – Conflict Management and Stabilization
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2018/00016
Location: Maiduguri, Borno State with at least 60% travel to project locations
Supervisory Responsibility: Program Assistants
Reports Directly to: Senior Program Manager/Director
Works Directly With: Finance, Programs and Operation Teams.
- The MAIDA Program will directly support the recovery of at least 70,000 women, men, girls and boys who are returnees, IDPs and members of host communities affected by the Boko Haram insurgency in southern and central Borno State.
- The objective of MAIDA is to increase the social cohesion and resilience to economic, social and climate related shocks in Borno State in an environmentally-conscious way.
- Four interrelated and mutually reinforcing intermediate outcomes will contribute to achieving this objective.
- First, MAIDA will restore and improve rural livelihoods in an ecologically sustainable manner by enabling households to take advantage of existing and new agricultural market opportunities.
- In parallel, adolescents and youth will be empowered as economic actors in their communities through access to employment, diversified livelihood opportunities, vocational training and business development initiatives.
- These outcomes will be reinforced by improved access to social protection and community-based services for women, youth, adolescent breadwinners and other at-risk groups.
- Finally, overall social cohesion will be strengthened within and between conflict-affected communities and environmental resource management will be improved in areas of displacement and return.
- Sectors of intervention will include market-led and climate-smart livelihood and employment opportunities, vocational training for youth, social and economic protection and community reintegration and peacebuilding.
- Economic recovery activities will build resilience through Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) market systems-based models, reducing poverty by enhancing the ways that poor and vulnerable households interact with markets.
General Position Summary:
- The Programme Officer will oversee all conflict management and stabilization activities, including the formation of Community Resilience Groups, training on conflict mitigation, overseeing the implementation of social integration events, and the formation of community resilience plans. S/he will work closely with Mercy Corps team members mobilizing community groups and Mercy Corps partners.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Coordinate main activities under the conflict mitigation sector with the rest of the program team.
- Perform training sessions in the field and provide TOT to Programme Assistants and key community members.
- Mobilize community members to take part in community resilience groups.
- Support the community in the selection of social integration events, ensuring that all sectors of the community are represented in such events.
- Support the community in the development of community resilience plans, ensuring that all sectors of the community are represented in such events. With coordination of his/her supervisor, develop weekly and monthly work plans. Track the team’s ability to deliver on the plan and report back to the team each week.
- Support in forecasting cash requirements for the coming month/s.
- Lead assessments and identify needs that exist in various communities.
- Supervise and be responsible for all technical aspects of daily project implementation, ensure they are completed in a timely, efficient, accurate manner.
- Document lessons learned and success stories in relation to the relevant sector.
- Compile, submit, and contribute to all required program reports on time.
- Watch and report on any new needs arising in the project target areas.
- Monitor and evaluate effectiveness of activities and make recommendations for improvements.
- Conduct him/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in Nigeria.
- Carry out any other duties as assigned.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Ensure compliance with all Mercy Corps finance regulation in carrying out activities.
Influence & Representation:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum of a B.A. in international development or related field (e.g:international relations, conflict mitigation, mediation, etc). M.A. in relevant field preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience working on the direct implementation of community mobilization, conflict mitigation.
- Ability to work independently in the field and show initiative.
- Experience in community mobilization.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to develop good relationships with target communities.
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local stakeholders, private sector actors, the Government and partners.
- Excellent oral, written and computer skills.
- Fluency in English, Kanuri and Hausa essential.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Security in the field locations require additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously.
- Access to good medical services in northeast is limited. Phone communication, internet, electricity and water is available but might be erratic.
- Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all locations.
Application Closing Date
17th May, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send not more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.