U.S. Embassy in Lagos job recruitment for the post of Electrician. Interested candidates should have completed Secondary School and vocational training/apprenticeship recognized as producing a journeyman electrician is require.
Job Title: Electrician
Job No.: 2018-043
Series/Grade: Le-5 1210
Duration of Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Work Hours: Full-Time; 48 hours/week
Start Date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
- The incumbent reports to the Electrical Maintenance Inspector and is responsible for all assigned duties as an Electrician in the Electrical trade. Assigned duties involve maintenance, installation, modification, repair, troubleshooting and testing of electrical system equipment control.
- Additional responsibilities include primary and secondary distribution panels, switch
- United States Mission Nigeria gear, fire alarm system, electrical motors, transformers or any other items associated with the electrical trade.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Completion of Secondary School and vocational training/apprenticeship recognized as producing a journeyman electrician is required.
- Experience: Three (3) years of journeyman electrician experience is required.
- Must have full journeyman electrical knowledge of established practices and procedures.
- Language: Level II (Limited knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing of English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to use all tools associated with the trade and a valid Nigeria driver’s license is required.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass security certifications.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application.
- Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran.
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights.
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain:
- The military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and
- The character of service
- Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/definitions-for-va
NGN 3,736,693/ USD 28,945.
Application Closing Date
4th May, 2018.
- Universal Application for US Federal Employment (DS – 174)
- Application Letter addressing the Qualifications and Evaluations for the position
- Degree not with transcript
- Certificate or License
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- Residency and/or Work Permit (if applicable)
Submit Applications to: HRNigeria@state.gov
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold an FSN Security clearance.
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.