U.S. Embassy in Abuja recruitment for the post of Janitor. Interested candidates should have completed Primary School Education with at least Two (2) years’ experience in commercial/office buildings cleaning.
Job Title: Janitor
Ref Id: A52814-A52824
Announcement Number: Abuja -2018-037
Opening Period: April 11, 2018 – April 24, 2018
Series/Grade: LE 1305 2
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- The incumbent performs janitorial duties on the Embassy Compound and all U.S. Government (USG) leased/owned properties.
- She is responsible for cleaning unclassified space.
- S/he receives expendable janitorial supplies from GSO Storeroom; as well as responsible for treatment and cleaning, restroom cleaning, high cleaning, wall cleaning, window cleaning, and deep cleaning of all Embassy Compound spaces.
- S/he reports directly to the Facility Management (FAC) Janitorial/Gardening Supervisor.
Requirements, Qualifications and Evaluations
- Completion of Primary School Education is required.
- Two (2) years’ experience in commercial/office buildings cleaning is required.
- Knowledge of current cleaning methods and materials as well as knowledge of safe handling of industry standard cleaning chemicals is required.
- Must be able to read and understand janitorial supply instructions, materials, and equipment.
- Level II (Limited knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing of English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be a team player and work independently with a good customer service skills
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application
- Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain:
- The military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and
- The character of service
- Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/definitions-for-va
NGN 2,385,434 / USD 21,121
Application Closing Date
24th April, 2018.
- Universal Application for US Federal Employment (DS – 174)
- Application Letter addressing the Qualifications and Evaluations for the position
- Degree not with transcript
- Certificate or License
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- Residency and/or Work Permit (if applicable)
Submit Applications to: HRNigeria@state.gov
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- Who May Apply: For USEFM – FP-CC is USD21, 121 – Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.