The Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) Nigeria, an affiliate of the University of Maryland Baltimore, is a Non-Governmental Organization funded by the U.S Government through the Center for Disease Control (CDC).
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Zonal Laboratory Specialist
Locations: Zonal Locations, Nigeria
Duration: One year with the possibility of renewal subject the availability of funds.
- The Organization is seeking qualified candidates to work on its recent award on “the Nigeria Indicator and Impact Survey (NAIIS), a Population-based HIV Impact Assessment (PHIA) Survey that was developed to enable countries obtain HIV-specific indicators, including the impact of the expansion of HIV prevention and treatment programs to facilitate effective monitoring of national HIV programs.
- Through a contract with the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), implements The Nigeria AIDS Indicator and Impact Survey (NAIIS).
- The NAIlS program assists Nigeria to implement household-based surveys in the areas of HIV/AIDS and HepB & C population based survey.
- The NAIIS program seeks to fill a Zonal Laboratory Specialist position to support the survey. The position is based in zonal locations.
- The Laboratory specialist will be responsible for providing technical assistance to the NAIIS
- Program on the measurement of biomarkers in population-based surveys and for the management of biomarker measurement in individual surveys together with the NAIIS survey team.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
They include, but are not limited to:
- Training of field staff on data collection tools, blood and other sample collection procedures; preparation of dried blood spot; monitoring and supervision of field work; preparation of manuals, SOPs and other training documents
- Training of field staff on the use and application of rapid diagnostic tests for HIV, HepB Ag & HepC Ag and point-of-care devices for the measurement of CD4.
- Conducting assessments of host country laboratories to determine the labs’ capacity to carry out CD4, viral load and HIV resistance testing for the NAIIS survey
- Training and supervision of in-country laboratories to conduct testing to support data collection in population-based surveys
- Testing will include but is not limited to HIV, HepBAg, Hep C Ag, CD4, ARV metabolites, HIV resistance testing.
- Participating in other NAIIS activities, e.g., assisting in developing questionnaires and modules, training curriculum, conducting further analysis studies, preparing/revising core manuals, preparing/reviewing biomarker sections of NAIIS reports, making presentations to CDC and other stakeholders
- The laboratory specialist position is a position that requires approximately 90% travel around the country. It is expected that the laboratory specialist will demonstrate a high level flexibility in performing the responsibilities of the position.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a Biomedical Science.
- 8-10 years of experience, including at least 3-5 years of laboratory experience conducting assays for the diagnosis of HIV and other infectious diseases
- An experience with population survey will an added advantage
- In depth knowledge and practical experience performing enzyme immunoassays, specimen management and data management.
- Familiarity with basic molecular techniques.
- Experience with viral load testing and other nucleic acid tests
- Experience or knowledge of CD4 enumeration, using point-of-care testing and FACS assay
- Experience working with developing country institutions
- Experience performing Quality Assurance measures in all phases of biomedical testing
- Experience writing short technical reports
- Ability to write clear and concise summaries of reports for internal and external audiences
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluency in English required.
- Ability to work for long hours
- Ability to give attention to details
- Ability to work with their hands and will need dexterity to work with small vials, test tubes,
- and delicate lab equipment.
Application Closing Date
13th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online