Channels Television is one of the 13 independent television stations currently broadcasting in Nigeria, since the Federal Government deregulated the broadcast media in 1992.
Are you that candidate with the right attitude and exceptional qualities we are looking for, who will effortlessly match competence and experience with our mission, core values and work ethics?
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Multimedia Journalist, Co-Production
- The successful candidate will need to have excellent knowledge of news in Nigeria, Africa, global news and an understanding of what audiences are looking for in digital and social media news coverage.
- You will have significant editorial responsibility and will be expected to plan, drive the creative vision and output the weekly TV show and digital content.
- You must demonstrate strong editorial judgement and solid journalistic skills.
- You will be able to write creatively, accurately and succinctly, and understand how to find and generate original and engaging news stories that can work across all platforms. You will be adept at planning and producing video and TV packages, desk top editing, producing graphics, and arranging for guests to appear on our output.
- The job will require ambition, imagination and a large degree of initiative with the high editorial, journalism and production values as expected.
- We are looking for a talented Senior Multimedia Broadcast Journalists to work in a new Africa Co-Production Unit
- To compile and output innovative news programmes and content offering new perspectives and deeper exploration to news stories, interviews, profiles and digital content.
- To be creative and influential in developing Channels TV and BBC’s Africa News agenda and set an example for the producers to follow and to formulate ideas which will inspire audiences.
- To plan, structure, write and produce content for use on TV, Digital and Radio and to develop treatments of the highest quality and with journalism at the heart.
- To oversee and comply content and ensure it meets Channel’s TV and BBC guidelines and legal requirements.
- To deputize for the Co-Production Editor and line manage some member of the team, train and develop the staff.
- To forge working relationships with Channels TV news teams, BBC News, other News departments within the BBC including all BBC Africa Services .
- To manage production budgets effectively.
- To prepare edited material either working in a self-op environment or with a craft editor to produce inserts and packages for the various outlets such as News TV features, News bulletins, Online or social.
- To generate ideas and material that can work across all platforms in order to maximise impact and efficiencies. To help increase the co-operation between teams and ensure more collaborative future planning
- To find and brief contributors for live and edited stories and in some cases, interview them for broadcast.
- Produce a reporter or presenter on location.
- A full command of written and spoken English.
- To watch or listen to news footage and log accurately what is important or useful, in order to tell a story through edited highlights.
- To develop original ideas for digital content.
- To be responsible for ensuring safe working practices and the observance of BBC’s Health and Safety Regulations.
- Exceptional knowledge of news, in particular news that appeals to a Nigerian audience and excellent news contacts.
- Proven skills in creating TV news programmes or visual news content to highest standards.
- Strong digital understanding and awareness.
- Good team working skills both as a team leader and a team player.
- Proven editorial judgement and the ability to make decisions under tight deadlines.
- Creativity and ideas generation.
- Well-developed organizational skills and the ability to maintain a high standard of performance whilst under pressure.
- An awareness of the latest broadcast technology.
- An awareness of budget issues and delivering value for money.
- Knowledge of the African media market and the changing needs of the audience.
- Experience of making sound judgements on matters of editorial sensitivity.
- Knowledge and practical experience of weekly and/or daily journalism.
- Well-developed communication skills.
- Outstanding written and spoken English. Written and spoken Pidgin or Hausa is desirable.
- Strive for diversity of contributors, in terms of gender, ethnicity, disability and age.
- Appreciate and demonstrate great Values.
- Resilience, determination, ambition, energy and enthusiasm.
- Makes the right editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the Channels TV and BBC’s Producer guidelines and Editorial Policy.
- Demonstrates a good knowledge of mainstream news. Develops increasingly useful contacts and sources. Decision Making – Is ready and able to take initiative, and make decisions to tight deadlines.
Planning and Organizing:
- Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritizes and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Able to simplify complex problems, process projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically.
Imagination and Creative Thinking:
- Translates news stories and events into high quality content through a detailed understanding of the requirements of the broadcast media and possession of the necessary writing, directing and reporting skills.
- Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
Influencing and Persuasion:
- Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
Managing Relationships and Team Working:
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Highly effective team player; works for the benefit of the whole team.
- Understands working with others. Demonstrates, and is committed to improving, understanding of why people react in particular ways.
- Ability to work with deadlines and without close supervision.
Salary and Benefits: Negotiable.
Application Closing Date
9th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and credentials detailing your skills, experience and interests, and a show reel or portfolio of your work with a covering letter outlining your suitability for this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Eligible candidates applying for this position must be able to live and work in Lagos. Only qualified candidates will be shortlisted and contacted.