Are you that candidate with the right attitude and exceptional qualities we are looking for, who will effortlessly match competence and experience with our mission, core values and work ethics?
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Editor, Co-Production
- We are looking for a creative and motivated Editor to lead a new Africa Unit and launch the new TV programme and digital products for African and in particular Nigerian audiences.
- You will need to have excellent knowledge of news in Nigeria, pan- African news, global news and an understanding of what audiences are looking for in digital and social media news coverage as well as a real nose for original, creative journalism. The role will work closely with BBC African News Editor and news specialists across the two organizations, both domestic and in global news outlets.
- To editorially lead the launch of new TV and digital news content for Nigeria and other African countries.
- To lead and motivate a team of journalists to produce high quality content and to encourage original journalism and distinctive, innovative storytelling.
- To co-ordinate, plan, guide and inspire all coverage and lead on major news events.
- To be a key point of liaison with the best possible communication between the BBC and Channels TV and to ensure that editorial and legal guidelines of both broadcasters are met.
- Recruit, deploy, lead, manage, train and develop the staff.
- Work with the rest of the management team to build an open, collaborative and creative culture
- To manage commissioning and production budgets effectively
- To work jointly with Channels TV and BBC News, particularly (BBC) Africa TV Editor, the News interactive team and Newsgathering to deliver high quality material.
- To work with visual journalism and production teams to develop compelling TV and digital formats.
- To develop a lively and engaged social media approach to news coverage working very closely with the Languages digital teams.
- To ensure that the potential of news is maximized in all African language output, developing new formats and styles.
- Seek out opportunities for more efficient ways of working in a multiplatform and multilingual environment.
- Excellent track record of delivering high impact, multiplatform News content for an African audience
- The ability to deliver editorial innovation and develop great digital and TV content and stimulate new thinking about news journalism.
- Experience of leading and managing a team of journalists.
- Experience of managing budgets and observing tight financial targets.
- A solid understanding of Major Nigerian, African and international news and how to maximize their potential.
- Outstanding written and spoken English. Written and spoken Pidgin or Hausa is desirable
- Excellent communication skills to establish and develop strong working relationships with colleagues in numerous BBC departments – BBC African Service, BBC Global News, BBC Language Service and with Channels TV.
- Strong planning, negotiation and influencing skills and the ability to co-ordinate and plan news coverage from major events.
- Knowledge of the African media market and the changing needs of the audience.
- Thorough knowledge of African News and international current affairs.
- Strive for diversity of contributors, in terms of gender, ethnicity, disability and age.
- Experience of making sound judgement on matters of editorial sensitivity.
- Knowledge and practical experience of weekly and/or daily journalism
- A thorough knowledge of all the requirements of Channels TV/BBC Producer Guidelines and Editorial policies.
- An understanding of the agendas and requirements of the various BBC News international facing platforms and Channels TV.
- A high level of editorial awareness and judgement.
- Appreciate and demonstrate great Values.
- Resilience, determination, ambition, energy and enthusiasm.
- The following competencies (behaviors and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Makes the right editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of Channels TV/ BBC distinctive news agenda.
Imagination / Creative Thinking:
- Translates news and current affairs into high quality video and text content through a detailed understanding of the requirements of digital and social media and possession of the necessary writing, directing and reporting skills.
- Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decisions made.
Planning and Organizing:
- Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritizes and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterized by commitment, motivation and energy.
Influencing and Persuading:
- The ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behavior change.
Managing Relationships and Team Working:
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works cooperatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Ability to create a vision and inspire others to realize it irrespective of circumstances.
- Demonstrates an expanding knowledge of News, online editorial and technological developments and business trends in international news.
- Simplifies complex problems, processes or projects. Identifies casual relationships and constructs frameworks for problem-solving and/or development.
- The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
Developing Talent and Diversity:
- Coaches others to build on strengths and improve on weakness, gives and listens to regular, honest feedback, grows internal new leaders, recruits and develops talent from a diverse range of backgrounds, connects with people from all parts of society.
- Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Is able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organization or job requirements. A job specification is a written statement of the essential characteristics of the job, with its principal accountabilities, incorporating a note of the skills, knowledge and experience required for a satisfactory level of performance. This is not intended to be complete, detailed account of all aspects of the duties involved.)
Ability to work with deadlines and without close supervision.
Salary and Benefits: Negotiable.
Application Closing Date
9th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and credentials detailing your skills, experience and interests, and a show reel or portfolio of your work with a covering letter outlining your suitability for this position to: email@example.com
Note: Eligible candidates applying for this position must be able to live and work in Lagos. Only qualified candidates will be shortlisted and contacted.