The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring & Evaluation Officer (EH)
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
- The purpose of the M&E Officer position help is to coordinate Environmental Health (EH) sector data collection, compilation, consolidation and analysis.
- S/he will support research, assessments and evaluations focused on helping IRC to monitor, document and improve on impact measurement.
- He/she will be engaged in reflective practice to generate lessons from projects/program and prepare M&E plans for the sector.
- S/he is responsible for establishing, updating and maintaining Environmental Health sector indicator tracking sheets and ensure functional data collection systems for EH sector.
- S/he will support the M&E manager in the supervision, coaching and mentoring of EH Assistant M&E Officer/s on M&E aspects.
- S/he will support implementation of the IRC community accountability mechanisms and devise a strategy for program staff participation in M&E activities.
- The position holder will closely work with the front line program staff and community volunteers to support the IRC interventions in program locations.
- S/he is a member of the M&E unit on technical matters and reports to the M&E Manager, but will have dotted lines to EH managers on programmatic M&E issues.
Program/project design and learning (15% of time):
- Design, develop and continuously update project M&E, and measurement tools and systems on timely fashion;
- Develop and make sure all the projects in the sub-sector have tested monitoring tools that capture both program activity and indicators progresses;
- Organize panel monitoring and/or similar M&E events to ensure accountability to the target community, with relevant stakeholders including communities and ensure their dissemination to concerned parties;
- With support from the M&E Manager and M&E Coordinator, establish and maintain project level information management system;
- Facilitate implementation of the IR community accountability mechanism, and ensure that program stakeholders have correct information on the IRC activities.
- Proactively ensure networking and sharing of lessons from the core program with strategic partners and other stakeholders including government;
- Coordinate synergy and cross-learning among different projects and programs;
- Cross fertilize learning among projects by regularly producing (compiling) summary monitoring reports and sharing to staff and partners.
Monitoring and evaluation (50% of time):
- Track progress against monitoring work plans;
- Coordinate the field level community participatory monitoring and evaluation, reflective practice and impact measurement;
- Ensues the on time execution of projects major monitoring and evaluation events including but not limited to baseline survey, mid-term evaluation, final evaluation, data quality audit and field supervision;
- Provide technical assistance to staff and partner organization on information management system, proper data collection and record keeping;
- Provide consistent, supportive supervision to strengthen staff performance as necessary to meet monitoring objectives;
- Update M&E plan timely and provide feedback to program staff on status and quality of implementation.
- Assist with monthly and/or quarterly performance indicator analysis, including generation of reports as well as presentations for staff related to on-going performance;
- Conduct regular data verification exercises to ensure reporting and collection of quality data;
- Verify entered data for completeness, correctness, and consistency and follow up on any data quality issues;
- Document findings from data quality audits and store in project files to ensure collective and sustainable access;
- Actively participate in and contribute to M&E team activities, system assessments, development and implementation of new systems and/or tools aimed at strengthening overall M&E practices at IRC Nigeria;
- Closely work with staff to ensure they follow correct procedures and criteria during beneficiary registration;
- Take part in the recruitment of enumerators and survey consultants;
- Provide M&E inputs for reports written during project implementation;
- Periodically leads reflective practice forums at field office/ project level and compile lessons from project implementation processes.
Information management and reporting (15% of time):
- Establish and maintain project information management system;
- Submit data set to update country office wide program database on monthly basis;
- Compile regular project monitoring report, including lessons learned, prepared by different projects and application of evaluation recommendations;
- Ensure all projects have downward/ forward accountability mechanisms and works with project staff to make sure its implementation;
- Compile quarter, biannual and annual tabular and narrative reports (as required by project stakeholders) on projects’ accomplishments by cost and alert the management for special deviations form the plan.
Capacity building and supervision (15% of time):
- Assist local partners in designing monitoring and reporting tools and establishing database management systems.
- Organize orientation for front line staff, partners’ staff and volunteers on the monitoring tools and train them how to use data for decision making;
- Let the front line staff and volunteers understand IRC’s program principles and the bigger picture, in general;
- Coach, mentor and supervise Assistant M&E Officer/s,
- Assist her/his subordinate/s in completing performance management activities including: performance planning, monitoring, and annual performance appraisals;
Perform other duties assigned by the supervisor (5% of time):
- Perform other task related assignment proposed by his/her supervisor/s
Skills And Experiences
- Degree/Diploma in Statistics, Computer Science/IT/or any sector or sub-sector related field;
- Excellent computer skills are required (particularly Microsoft Excel, Access and Word);
- At least two year experience working in monitoring and evaluation preferred;
- Strong data collection, analysis, and report writing skills required;
- Ability to work independently, think analytically and take initiative in solving problems;
- Ability to communicate technical issues effectively;
- Familiarity with logframe analysis and M&E plan;
- Experience in conducting assessment;
- Desirable – Working with highly vulnerable and displaced people would be added advantage;
- Good verbal communication skills in local languages and working knowledge of English;
- Most importantly, commitment to IRC values and principles;
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with groups of diverse backgrounds).
- The positions are located in Mubi the situation in northeast Nigeria continues to be volatile and the security phase is orange or red depending on location. This is a national position.
- Competitive Monthly salary,
- 13th Month Salary Inclusive,
- Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Application Closing Date
8th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CVs’ and Cover Letter to “The Senior Admin/HR Manager, International Rescue Committee IRC” via: ircNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org Subject of the application should read: Health M&E Officer, Mubi (x1)