The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Assistant
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
Scope of Work
- Under the supervision of the Protection Officer, the Protection Assistant will work extensively with other sectors, to ensure that protection principles are being incorporated into the Nigeria sector programs, and in particular with the Women’s Protection and Empowerment Coordinator, the Child Youth and Protection Development Coordinator and the Food Security team to strengthen the integrated nature of IRC’s protection and assistance programs in Nigeria.
- The Protection Assistant will conduct protection monitoring in target areas and will conduct case intake for individual protection cases.
- The Protection Assistant will support the Protection Officer in ensuring the smooth formation and running of community based protection structures and mechanisms.
- The Protection Assistant will be the focal point for the identification, registration and provision of individual targeted assistance to extremely vulnerable individuals.
- Take lead in identification of most vulnerable individuals in target communities and extremely vulnerable individuals in need of urgent assistance.
- In coordination with the Protection Officer, identify what form of targeted assistance to be provided to extremely vulnerable individuals.
- Provide individual targeted assistance to extremely vulnerable individuals and make follow up with them to ensure that their most urgent needs are being appropriately addressed.
- Support the Protection Officer in the establishment and oversight of community based protection mechanisms/structures.
- Assist Information Assistants in carrying out community mobilization, awareness creation and information dissemination activities.
- Assist Protection Officer in conducting promotion monitoring activities in target areas.
- Assist the Training and Capacity Officer in planning, organizing and implementation of conducting trainings at the community level.
- Support in identifying key protection issues, concerns and threats in target communities
- Refer identified cases to the Protection and Legal Officer for further action and consideration.
- Participate in data collection, vulnerability screening and assessments such as needs assessments, baseline/end line surveys etc.
- Participate in the design, planning, execution and monitoring of Protection sector activities
- Assist the Protection Officer in consolidating weekly report, monthly and other program reports.
- Keep record of all individual targeted assistance activities and assist in keeping records of community based protection activities.
- Work together with the Training and Capacity Building Officer to build and strengthen the capacity of community based structure and mechanism.
- Take good quality activity pictures and submit to the Reporting/Database Assistant and Protection Manager
- Attend regular IRC internal Protection sector meetings.
- Carry out other tasks assigned by the supervisor
- University degree in Law, Political Science, Social Works, Psychology or any other related field.
- 1 years’ experience implementing protection programming including experience in emergency or post-conflict project management
- Demonstrated experience using international human rights standards in protection programming
- Good communication skills (written and verbal), cultural sensitivity, flexibility, ability to improvise, team player.
- Ability to live and productively work under stress and in insecure and harsh environments while maintaining a sense of humor.
- Experience in working in remote and hard to reach areas with limited amenities.
- Knowledge of the local language will be an added value
- Strong computer skills require (word and excel).
- The positions are located in Mubi the situation in northeast Nigeria continues to be volatile and the security phase is orange or red depending on location. This is a national position.
- Competitive Monthly salary,
- 13th Month Salary Inclusive,
- Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Application Closing Date
8th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications addressed to the “Senior Admin/HR Manager, IRC” via: IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org Subject of the application should read “Protection Assistant, Mubi”.
Note: All applications must be submitted online.