The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an international medical organization, founded in 2009. ALIMA’s aim is to provide a high standard of healthcare in situations of emergency or medical disaster and to improve the practice of humanitarian medicine by developing innovative projects associated with medical research. The specific feature of the association is to base its operating methods mainly on partnership with national medical players. By pooling and capitalizing on their skills, ALIMA and its partners give as many people as possible access to a high standard of treatment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Coordinator (M/F)
Location: Monguno, Borno
Report to (Direct): Head of Mission
Mission and Main Activities
- The Project Coordinator is responsible for ALIMA operational response in the Project. In close collaboration with the mission coordination team, define and plan the Project objectives and priorities, identifying population’s health and humanitarian needs, analysing the context and the humanitarian issues at stake, the risks and constraints and calculating human and financial needs. Coordinate, in close collaboration with the Head of Mission, its implementation in order to efficiently ensure the goals as well as to improve targeted population’s health conditions and humanitarian situation.
- Supervise the political and humanitarian situation in the project’s area in order to ensure that ALIMA’s charter, policies and image are respected with regards to national employees, populations, authorities and partners
- Together with the project team, evaluate needs by identifying the population’s health status, by analysing the context (environment, actors involved, negotiations for access etc.) and associated risks and constraints in order to define priorities and projects goals and to calculate material, human and financial resources needed
- Together with the project team and the Head of Mission monitor the security situation in the area of intervention, propose security guidelines and guarantee their implementation in order to ensure the security if the project team.
- Propose and carry out exploratory missions, according to Head of Mission’s indications, in order to better comprehend context, priorities, constraints and population needs
- Ensure a data collection and epidemiological surveillance system, in agreement with the Medical Coordinator, in order to define medical and technical programs and preventive protocols for the targeted population
- Steer and supervise the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project in collaboration with the project team and according to the internal and donor indicators in order to evaluate the level of achievement of the project objectives.
- Provide reporting to the coordination team on project’s evolution and propose corrections if needed
- Elaborate the Project’s institutional memory, keeping written records (and file them) on its development, in order to broadcast ALIMA achievements and improve awareness
- In coordination with the Administration Manager and Activity Managers, plan and organise the organizational charts, plan and distribute tasks and workload among the teams, guiding their understanding of the issues linked to the Project and the Mission through regular working meetings and feedback, in order to ensure an efficient deployment of the resources and the achievement of the expected goals
- Inform the field team on the instructions given by the mission coordination promoting fluent, smooth written and oral communication and information flow and ensuring confidentiality and full compliance with security rules and medical ethics
- Supervise full implementation of safety and health protocols, reporting the Medical Coordination on risky behaviours, in order to ensure safe working conditions for the project staff
- Be responsible of the proper application of HR policies and associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, potential, detection, staff’s development and internal communication) in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the activities he/she is accountable for
- In coordination with the Administration Manager and Activity Managers, identify training needs, provide individual follow up and coaching, carry out end of mission evaluation of the team members and lead internal communication initiatives in order to facilitate people’s integration and professional development and to maximize their capabilities and commitment to ALIMA values and project’s goals.
- Supervise the project material resources put at ALIMA’s disposition in order to ensure a correct use and its longevity.
- Supervise all orders (medical and logistical) and the Project’s purchases as well as the financial indicators, with the support of the coordination, in order ensure efficiency and early detect deviations and its causes.
- Lead the Nutrition & Health cluster group discussions.
Experience and Skills
- University degree or paramedical diploma/degree desirable.
- Previous experience in humanitarian aid
- Experiences with international medical NGOs & experience in project management desirable.
- Experience in security management highly desirable.
- English Speaking, reading and writing, mandatory. French is an asset.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel & internet).
- Negotiation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Contract term: contract under French law; contract length: 6 months, renewable.
- Position to be filled : ASAP
- Salary: depending on experience + per diem.
ALIMA pays for:
- Travel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location
- Accommodation costs
- Medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the mission country for the employee and his/her family
- Evacuation of the employee.
Application Closing Date
31st January, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send an updated Resume/CV’s to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference “Nigeria- Project Coordinator Monguno ” in the subject line.
Please send the answer to the following questions (in a word document / no other cover letter is needed!!!):
- What do you know about Alima and why do you want to join our team in the field ?
- What is your main achievement as a Project Coordinator in an Emergency Response context ?
- In your opinion, what are the 3 main skills of a good Project Coordinator in a project like Monguno ?
- On a scale to 1 to 10, what is your level spoken and written in English, French, Haussa?
- What is your availability to begin to work?
- The application sent without those answer to the questions will not be consider as a priority.
- Thanks for understanding.