African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Manager – Power Operations
Locations: Abidjan, Cote D’Ivoire & Nairobi, Kenya
Position N°: TBA
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities.
- This will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
The Hiring Department
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP) Complex, the Bank has five (5) Regional Hubs, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Hub is headed by a Director General (DG) and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries.
- The Regional Hubs provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s sovereign operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s, notably ‘Industrialize Africa’, ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Light up and Power Africa’, ‘Integrate Africa’ and ‘Improve the Quality of Life of the people of Africa’.
- The Manager: Power – which also includes managing Energy, Climate and Green Growth Operations — serves as the leader of the Division and empowers staff to accomplish their objectives by directing and delegating duties and tasks to them while supporting, mentoring and engaging with them. The incumbent also works directly with and directs the assigned staff to closely collaborate with the PEVP Complex and engage with the Chief Economist’s Complex, and other RDVP Divisions to identify business opportunities that have a positive impact on achievement of the High 5s.
- As part of the RDVP, the Manager is responsible for the delivery of the ‘New Deal on Energy for Africa’ (NDEA) and works in close collaboration with the Vice Presidency for Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth (PEVP) as well as other Complexes with cross-cutting activities under High5, including AHVP (gender, water, agriculture).
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the respective Director General for East Africa/ West Africa & expert guidance from Senior Management from the RDVP Complex, and in close collaboration with PEVP Complex, the Manager will perform the following:
Leadership and Management:
- Lead the strategic staffing of the Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth Division team in the respective region, giving due support to and championing the Bank’s Strategy, and promoting Powering Africa.
- Lead and manage the Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth Division team in the assigned region and ensure the team is high-performing, well-motivated and committed to the success of the Bank.
- Lead, plan, organize, manage and supervise the activities and work programme of the Division with appropriate delegation of day-to-day activities.
- Drive and ensure operational efficiency and effectiveness of the Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth Division achieving the Bank’s strategic imperatives and the management of change.
- Cultivate and ensure a culture of “ONE-Bank” in the Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth Division with the highest levels of ethics, fiduciary responsibility and professionalism which protect and enhance the reputation of the Bank.
- Provide technical and managerial leadership to staff in the definition and realization of the key performance indicators (KPIs) of the Division — including joint / shared KPIs.
- Ensure effective Divisional budget resources management.
- Strengthen the human and institutional capacities of countries, and deepen the capacity of the Bank to implement flagship projects/programs and to become the thought leader in knowledge products and advisory services to countries.
- Enable and empower the Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth Division teams in the execution of their responsibilities.
- Build teams of highly talented and motivated technical and operational staff, for efficient and effective business development and delivery of the lending programme.
- Ensure the Task Managers of the Division contribute to the development of country strategy papers and regional integration strategies in relation to their High 5 of concern and country of assignment;
- Head multi-disciplinary teams including Investment Officers, Economists, Engineers and Lawyers to identify, prepare, design, and appraise projects.
- Lead and drive the Division’s contribution to policy dialogue with Government Officials in Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth, in close collaboration with PEVP management/personnel..
- Manage the delivery of the lending programme for member countries in the Region in accordance with Bank policies and procedures.
- Advance regional integration through the development of and contribution towards the execution of major regional transformative development projects to attain the Bank’s High 5s ‘Light up & Power Africa,’ and ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa’ and where possible to contribute to ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ and ‘Integrate Africa.’
- Ensure impacts are made per the objectives of the ‘Gender Strategy’ and the ‘New Deal on Energy for Africa’ priorities.
- Develop critical resources and the technical capability necessary for sourcing and originating bankable projects, in close collaboration with PEVP management/personnel.
- Pipeline Development: Develop and manage a diversified pipeline and lending programme of investments in Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth across the region, to meet the Bank’s impact and profitability targets.
- Drive the development of a robust pipeline of public and private projects, programs and analytical work through identification and preparation activities.
- Identification of Opportunities – Identify and secure co-financing opportunities and organization of joint promotional activities;
- Identify direct investment opportunities for possible Bank financing and build up PPP project pipeline.
- Under the guidance of the Director General, spearhead national and regional business development and investment, drive resource mobilization across the countries under their remit and significantly grow the business of the Bank.
- Project Management – Ensure that when preparing and designing projects in Countries in fragile situations, there is effective liaising with internal Fragility and Resilience Experts to ensure effective application of the fragility-lens, taking into consideration the fragility context (economic, political, social, environmental, and regional factors) and implications from a risk management point of view to minimize impact, and if within scope of the project to make an informed beneficial impact.
- Supervise all stages of the project origination part of the project cycle up to Board presentation.
Drive the development and delivery of transformational projects for the region and the continent:
- Jointly with the Regional teams and the PEVP Complex, manage selected client relationships, and ensure high level of client satisfaction;
- Promote Bank Power, Energy, Climate & Green Growth operations and programs to Government Officials, business operators, development partners, etc.
- Promote and ensure programmatic linkages between the work of the Division and that of other related Bank Divisions and Departments.
Building Relationships and Using Influence:
- Developing partnerships – Lead the Division’s contribution in the creation of networks and partnerships to implement the ‘Light up and Power Africa’ High 5 and make impact on ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ and ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa’ High 5s.
- As “co-pilots manage the development of partnerships that would lead to the creation of Public Private Partnership for transformation and innovative financing of operations under the above mentioned High 5 in the West and East regions.
- Build strong relationships – a strategic focus with regional and local private businesses, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), River Basin Organizations (RBOs), Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), United Nations (UN) organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners and Government officials to develop investment opportunities and to ramp up co-financing and loan syndications.
- Coordination role – Coordinate the Bank’s relationships with institutions involved in Power, Energy, Climate & Green Growth Development operations (exchange of information on policies, operational experience, identification, preparation and appraisal).
- Work with the Energy Sector Complex to draw on and/or contribute resources as needed.
- Execute staff performance management, including work performance appraisals and assessments of staff potential and training and development needs.
- Foster an environment that stimulates and rewards performance, initiative and innovation, and encourages continuous learning, open communication and teamwork.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least Master’s Degree (or its university equivalent) in Electrical/Power Engineering, Economics, Business Administration, Finance or any other relevant field.
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience in the energy sector, 3 years of which should be in a management position or leadership role.
- Qualification or Certification in Project Management is advantageous.
- Experience in development of Energy, Climate and Green Growth Strategies and strong understanding of socio-economic and development issues and dynamics in more than one of the sectors inclusive of Energy Climate and Green Growth Sector covered by the Division particularly in Africa and/or assigned region (indicate region) Africa.
- Professional experience in Development Finance Institutions and the private sector is advantageous
- A proven track record for origination and in managing the delivery of energy projects along with a good understanding of climate change and green growth issues.
- A track record demonstrating a high-level expertise of project appraisal including environmental, social, economic and financial analysis and the provision of technical assistance to improve service delivery.
- Demonstrated experience in Energy project origination, financial and economic analysis, and financial structuring (project finance and corporate finance) in a multilateral financial institution with special focus on at least one of the sectors in the assigned Division.
- Experience in and strong understanding of socio-economic and development issues and dynamics in the energy sector particularly in Africa and/or assigned region in Africa.
- Experience in development of Strategies and strong understanding of socio-economic and development issues and dynamics in more than one of the sectors covered by the Division, preferably in Africa.
- Familiarity with strategies, policies, procedures and practices of multilateral development institutions.
- Comprehensively understands projects structures, including project design, planning, risk management strategy, issue management strategy, communication management strategy, lessons learned and handover, and other critical success factors, strategies, policies, procedures and practices of multilateral development banks.
- Has an acute knowledge and understanding of the elements essential for the effective delivery and measurement of development impacts through projects and programs in Africa.
- Ability to identify and create meaningful linkages across sectors to drive development impact at a country and regional level.
- Negotiation Skills – Highly developed negotiation skills proven to yield positive outcomes with senior counterparts, both internal and external, and understands when and how to apply diplomacy, influence, maintain a hard line, make or break contacts, understand unwritten lines of influence and conduct oneself accordingly.
- Knowledgeable in the structuring and execution of debt and equity investments in the assigned sector projects and programmes.
- Professional Expertise: Continuously expands understanding of relevant business products, practices and systems/technology.
- Ability to innovate, influence, and implement new country and regional integration strategy approaches essential to the operational effectiveness of the assigned Division and achievement of the clients’ development aspirations.
- Highly developed strategic thinking skills allied to an ability to translate strategic concepts and direction into the implementation of workable and sustainable projects and programs.
- Ability to define and effectively drive the Division’s activities under uncertain and challenging circumstances.
- Ability to make use of the Bank’s systems and procedures for operational effectiveness and achievement of the Bank’s strategic imperatives in the assigned sectors.
- Ability to pull together all aspects of project origination and drive the process to deliver the lending program.
- Ability to take prudent business risks and make effective, timely and well-determined decisions.
- Networking ability required to build successful relationships and partnerships with a broad range of clients, internal and external, for effective delivery of results. Prudence and skill in identification of such relationships and partners based on meeting the needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the institution.
- Innovation and Creativity
- Operational Effectiveness
- Problem Solving
- Client Orientation
- Team working and relationship management
- Excellent Professional written and verbal communications in English or French with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint). SAP knowledge is advantageous.
Application Closing Date
8th December, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online