Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Program Officer (MAIDA)
Program / Department Summary
- The MAIDA programme will directly support the recovery of at least 70,000 women, men, girls and boys who are returnees, IDPs and members of host communities affected by the Boko Haram insurgency in southern and central Borno State.
- The objective of MAIDA is to increase the social cohesion and resilience to economic, social and climate related shocks in Borno State in an environmentally-conscious way.
- Four interrelated and mutually reinforcing intermediate outcomes will contribute to achieving this objective. First, MAIDA will restore and improve rural livelihoods in an ecologically sustainable manner by enabling households to take advantage of existing and new agricultural market opportunities.
- In parallel, adolescents and youth will be empowered as economic actors in their communities through access to employment, diversified livelihood opportunities, vocational training and business development initiatives.
- These outcomes will be reinforced by improved access to social protection and community-based services for women, youth, adolescent breadwinners and other at-risk groups.
- Finally, overall social cohesion will be strengthened within and between conflict-affected communities and environmental resource management will be improved in areas of displacement and return. Sectors of intervention will include market-led and climate-smart livelihood and employment opportunities, vocational training for youth, social and economic protection and community reintegration and peacebuilding.
- Economic recovery activities will build resilience through Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) market systems-based models, reducing poverty by enhancing the ways that poor and vulnerable households interact with markets.
General Position Summary
- The Senior Program Officer ensures implementation of MAIDA activities is on-time, on-scope and on-budget in one LGA in Borno State. Using effective systems to reach desired programme impact, s/he is responsible for the daily, weekly and monthly planning of staff, field volunteers and partners to fulfill MAIDA’s activities.
- Responsible for all programme implementation in the assigned LGA, the Senior Programme Officer effectively coordinates activities and staff members working in the LGA, engages communities in programme activities, manages community, government and partner relationships, promotes the effective integration of M&E systems into activities, uses data to identify and address programme performance gaps, ensures quality project delivery and takes a lead in addressing community concerns.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Provide oversight and leadership of the programme in the assigned LGA, implementing activities according to the programme logical framework and work plan.
- Support the Programme Director and Deputy Programme Director in ensuring that the overall goal and objectives of the programme are achieved within the assigned LGA.
- Develop an activity level implementation work plan for daily, monthly and quarterly targets for assigned LGA.
- Lead relationships with partners, government and communities in assigned LGA.
- Plan, organize and conduct quality community training sessions with targeted communities.
- Support and monitor sub-grant organizations as they implement their activity plans to ensure timely and quality delivery of program services.
- Monitor and report on programme progress with the support of the M&E team in area of assignment. Submit weekly, monthly, bi-annual and annual reports.
- Productively participate in planning and review sessions called by sector managers and programme leadership.
- Participate and provide leadership to assessments, surveys and research within the assigned LGA.
- Participate at delegated coordination meetings or events relevant to the programme and provide detailed reports on meeting actions and deliverables.
- Support the design, formalization and management of standard operating procedures.
- Ensure the quality and integrity of implementation, including adherence to technical guidelines, administrative systems, established deadlines and compliance requirements.
- Ensure implementation of activities is on-time, on-scope and on-budget, using effective systems to reach desired programme impact.
- Ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources.
- In collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team, implement relevant surveys, need assessments, and data collection systems for on-going monitoring in the assigned LGA.
- Promote a collaborative work environment between team members engaged in the assigned LGA.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives in the assigned LGA.
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with sub-grantee, local governments, communities, beneficiaries and other stakeholders.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Work closely with Mercy Corps Nigeria country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team in all aspects of its implementation process.
Accountability To Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- A minimum of a B.S. in International Development, Management, Social Sciences or a related field (e.g., Agronomy, Agriculture, Education, Economics). M.Sc. in a relevant field is preferred.
- 5 years of experience working on the direct implementation of resilience programming.
- Ability to work independently in the field and show initiative.
- Experience in agriculture, livelihoods and social cohesion activities preferred.
- Experience managing teams preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to develop good relationships with target communities.
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local stakeholders, private sector actors, the Government and partners.
- Excellent oral, written and computer skills.
- Fluency in English, Hausa and Kanuri is required.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
4th December, 2017.
How To Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com All applications must include the position title in the subject line and be not more than four pages.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.