The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: WPE Community Mobiliser_Konduga
Location: Monguno, Borno
- The IRC is implementing a protection program featuring strengthening of community based protection structures, capacity building, protection monitoring, information dissemination and referral services.
- The IRC will also building capacity of government authorities, local organizations and local communities around protection mainstreaming and protection monitoring.
- The IRC will also include legal assistance and counselling services.
- The protection program is currently implemented in the NE states of Adamawa and Borno.
- The IRC WPE program implements prevention and response activities to address Gender-Based Violence (GBV) and the focus of this program is to provide good quality health and psychosocial response services to conflict-affected women and girls in Borno State, North-Eastern Nigeria in a timely manner.
Scope of Work
- The WPE Community Mobilizer Assistant will be focal in the awareness raising component of IRC WPE programming.
- This component aims to facilitate a change in attitudes and behaviors that condone and perpetuate Gender-Based Violence: this involves encouraging men and women to reflectively examine gender roles and inequalities in order to support a safer environment for women and girls, and to facilitate gender-inclusive development in the community.
- S/he will work with communities to develop and implement plans to improve the safety and security for all individuals in the community.
- S/he will collaborate and coordinate with other partners to facilitate an effective multi-sectoral approach to addressing GBV.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Community Mobilization and Awareness Raising:
- Design and participate in awareness raising activities aimed at promoting changes in attitudes and behaviors regarding gender, gender equality and GBV.
- Identify strategies to promote active community participation in prevention and response interventions designed to address GBV.
- Play a lead role in the formation of community groups for response and prevention activities.
- Work with the WPE Trainer, Comprehensive Women Center Officer and Senior Case Worker to facilitate Trainings and sensitizations to community groups, local partners and Community Based Organizations on GBV issues.
- Promote the involvement of men and youth in GBV activities.
- Utilize participatory methodology and adult education techniques to assist communities in developing community-driven prevention and response plans.
- Mobilize community to form ‘action groups’ for awareness raising and encourage greater self-reliance among women in the communities.
- In collaboration with case worker ensure that women are engaged in psychosocial activities at the women’s centers.
Planning, Collaboration and Coordination:
- In collaboration with WPE Case Worker and Trainer, Women action groups and Youth Groups, identify training needs of community members and carryout trainings in a consistent and appropriate manner.
- Liaise with community leaders, government agencies, IRC sectors, Partners to organize training and capacity building activities.
- Promote women’s active participation in the leadership and decision-making of the community.
- In collaboration with Comprehensive Women Center (CWC )Officer, Senior Case Worker and community members conduct safety audits in the camps to identify potential security risks areas and develop strategies to address them.
Reporting and Monitoring:
- Compile and summarize weekly statistics to M&E Officer for monitoring purpose.
- Submit weekly narrative reports to WPE Program manager in a timely manner.
- Communicate all obstacles/Problems to senior Case Worker and WPE Program Manager for further action.
- Follow-up on psycho-social support activities and ensure that these activities are conducted appropriately and meet the needs of purpose for which they are intended.
- Follow-up on trainings/sensitizations/meetings conducted to ensure implementation of plans
- In collaboration with other WPE Staff submit monthly activity cash projections for prevention activities in a timely Manner to program manager.
- Ensure that all liquidations are done in a timely manner with relevant supporting documentations.
- Submit all financial request to program Manager in a timely manner for onward submission to either supply chain or finance.
- Possess a higher level education in Community Development or a related field
- Previous experience with community mobilization using participatory methodology.
- Good interpersonal and problem-solving skills and flexibility.
- Must be interested and committed to Human Rights, Gender Equality and Gender issues
- Must be fluent in community language, spoken and written English: Fluency in Kanuri will be an added advantage
- Proficiency in Word and Excel required.
- Be able to work effectively in unstable, challenging, and fast-paced environments.
- Ability to keenly observe confidentiality and discretion.
- Ability to work as part of a TEAM.
Security level orange. The situation in Maiduguri Borno remains unpredictable; there is active conflict in many parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas and other states.
Monthly salary, 13Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Application Closing Date
21st November 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications addressed to “The Country Director, International Rescue Committee” by e-mail to: [email protected]
Hand delivered application should be sent only to the IRC field office in Maiduguri.