Job Title: Accountant.
Job Location: Lagos.
Job Reference: BBC/TP/788768/22845.
Contract Type: Permanent – Full Time.
Job Category: Business/Finance.
Business Unit: News – W2020.
Reports to: Finance Manager.
Apply Before: 30th July, 2017.
The Company: The BBC, is the leading international broadcaster in Africa reaching a weekly audience of more than 100 million on Radio, TV, Digital (language sites and bbcafrica.com), Mobile and Social Media. We broadcast to Africa in English, Hausa, Somali, French, Kinyarwanda/Kirundi, Kiswahili & Arabic. We are committed to broadcasting to and from the continent in a style that meets the demands of our growing audience and as well as our language services, our presence in the region is also defined by our bureaux, special correspondents and bilingual reporters.
- The International Bureaux (IB) team supports all News Group bureaux. The Accountant reports the Finance Manager, Lagos Bureau.
- You will report to the Finance Manager for the running of the Lagos Bureau finances. You will be assisting the Finance Manager in running the finance management of the Nigerian Bureaux, in line with the BBC financial guidelines and local legislation. You will deputise for the Finance Manager, as required.
- The key task of this role is to provide efficient functioning of the office finance, and to give reliable support to the editorial activity of the Nigerian Bureaux by assisting in the finance area for all divisions, in compliance with the strategic priorities of all parts of the business.
- In doing so, the post holder will have to work with International Bureaux Finance (IBF), IB teams and the International HRBP.
- Assist in payroll preparation.
- Responsible for operating the advances process and ensuring that appropriate authorisations are in place and records maintained.
- Assist in managing BBC’s taxes profile, i.e. ensuring all taxes are properly recorded, paid and reported.
- Assist the Finance Manager in preparing monthly financial reports, bank reconciliations and petty cash reconciliations.
- Co-ordinating with staff on travel and other expenses and providing guidance on filing of expense claims etc as per BBC policies.
- Ensuring that filing and record keeping is appropriate and in line with the Bureaux Finance Manual and local requirements.
- Assist in the implementation and maintenance of a strong financial control environment, and ensure agreed processes are followed.
- Complying with policies and procedures in line with IBF guidelines.
- Assist the Financial Manager in preparing all financial statements; including Management Accounts, statutory accounts, recording each transaction in an appropriate and timely manner in an accounting system.
- Being the custodian of petty cash and required to prepare all records and statements relevant to cash management. Includes;
- Recording office expenditure and managing the budget;
- Responsibility for obtaining prior approval from Line Manager & Authorising Manager in advance, before incurring any expenditure.
- Maintaining a proper cashbook along with all filing of statements, receipts and documents supporting the expenses.
- Filing a monthly statement on the prescribed format on a timely basis.
The Ideal Candidate
- Fluent spoken and written English; excellent communications skills and ability to manage remote communication effectively.
- Sound book keeping experience including: working with budgets, producing timely and accurate information and reports, advising managers of cost issues.
- Ability to work unsupervised in a busy and pressurised environment.
- Ability to work with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Good IT skills with an intermediate knowledge in Excel preferable.
- Good working knowledge of BBC Health & Safety procedures.
- A lively interest in the broadcast news, online news and wider media environment and appreciation of the particular demands it may place on financial and administrative work.
- Willing to spread best practices to all BBC divisions operating in Cairo.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
Planning and Organisation:
- Able to think ahead in order to establish and efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
- Able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
Influencing and Persuading:
- Able to present sound and well reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
Managing Relationships and Team Working:
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations.
- Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups.
- Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
- Contract: Continuing
- Salary: Local terms and conditions apply.
How to Apply:
*Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online