Job Title: Safeguarding Advisor.
Job Location: Nigeria.
Department: Program and Project Management.
Vacancy Type: Part Time.
The Company: Girl Effect, is an organisation working to break the cycle of inter-generational poverty. We do this by investing in programmes for girls, connecting girls to each other to amplify their voices, and brokering access to the critical assets girls need. We drive behaviour change by harnessing media in innovative ways and building social networks to shift girls perceptions of themselves and how others value them.
Context of the Role
- The post holder’s role is to drive the implementation of Girl Effect’s Safeguarding policy and procedures in Nigeria and ensure an effective and timely response to children who are at risk. In practice this means participating in and contributing to all aspects of Girl Effect strategy and products in order to proactively identify and mitigate risks and ensure that safety measures are built in from design through to delivery.
- By providing expert advice, capacity building and support to Girl Effect staff and partners, the post holder will be responsible for ensuring that safety is at the heart of everything we do.
1.) Implementation of the Safeguarding policy and procedures:
- In collaboration with the Global Lead for Safeguarding, ensure that the Safeguarding Policy is adapted to the local context and is reviewed and updated on an annual basis
- Work closely with staff across Girl Effect Nigeria to implement the safeguarding policy and procedures and ensure that safeguarding is prioritised across all initiatives
- Deliver training to all Girl Effect staff on an annual basis and establish a programme of on-going capacity building for staff tailored to their specific area of work
- Ensure all new recruits receive a safeguarding induction within their first month of employment
- Ensure all implementing partners receive a detailed briefing on Girl Effect’s Minimum Safeguarding Requirements and ensure that a written Safeguarding Agreement is in place.
- Complete an annual safeguarding assessment and provide a report which summaries progress, challenges and future objectives
- Develop relationships with key government and stakeholders and other agencies and represent Girl Effect within key networks and external events focussed in safeguarding and child protection
2.) Overseeing reporting and response procedures:
- Ensure that there are clear reporting and response procedures at both a country level and within each initiative/product
- Ensure that reporting procedures are clearly understood by staff, partners, contractors, visitors and by children and young people themselves. This may include providing briefings, training or developing materials for dissemination, including the development of child-friendly materials.
- Act as the focal point for staff whenever safeguarding concerns arise and ensure staff are given appropriate advice and that the actions taken prioritise the best interest of the child
- Ensure that safeguarding concerns are documented and regularly analysed to inform organisational learning and improve safeguarding practice
3.) Advise on the design and development of new products and initiatives:
- Contribute to the design and development of new products and initiatives to ensure that risk identified and mitigated and that safeguarding measures are built in to all activities.
- Provide advice and support to staff developing media content and distribution platforms to ensure the protection of children and young people is prioritised.
- Work with the Evidence team to provide technical support on child protection in relation to monitoring, evaluation, learning and research initiatives.
- Keep up to date with trends and developments in the field of child protection and safeguarding and disseminate key learning from policy, practice and research to the wider team
- Identify safeguarding networks if any and represent Girl Effect Nigeria in their meeting
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- University degree. Masters degree will be an advantage
- Significant technical and practical knowledge and experience on child and young people’s safeguarding.
- Experience in developing and implementing organizational child protection or safeguarding policies and procedures
- Skilled in designing, facilitating and evaluating training in different organisational contexts.
- Desirable – Experience in safeguarding on online (e.g. on mobile and social networks)
- Proactive and influence positive change across the organisation.
- Able to manage sensitive issues and maintain the highest levels of confidentiality
- Strong inter-personal skills with an ability to work across departments
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Ability to be flexible within a fast paced, changing environment
- Commitment to realising the potential of girls and to the vision and values of Girl Effect
Apply Before: 26th June, 2017
How to Apply:
*Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online