Mercy Corps, a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible, is currently seeking to employ suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacant positions below:
- Entry-level Finance Assistant – Dikwa
- Entry-level Finance Assistant – Ngala
- Shelter Assistant – Ngala
- Shelter Assistant – Dikwa
- Shelter Officer – Ngala
- Shelter Officer – Dikwa
Mercy Corps Nigeria Recruitment for Entry-level Finance Assistant – Dikwa
Job Title: Finance Assistant
Location: Dikwa, Borno
Program / Department Summary
- With the insurgency affecting North East Nigeria and displacing millions of people, Mercy Corps is expanding its humanitarian programming to support the conflict-affected population.
- As a result of the wide-scale needs, Mercy Corps is scaling-up food security, non-food items, nutrition, protection, livelihoods, and water sanitation hygiene (WASH) activities in Dikwa, Ngala, and Jere Local Government Areas in Borno State to address emergency needs.
General Position Summary
- Under the supervision of the Senior Finance Officer, the Finance Assistant reconciles various bank accounts at the field, analyzes and reconciles items and provides staff with practical guidance on how to close these items.
- Systematically follows up long outstanding items and long outstanding open cases for bank reconciliations. Maintains appropriate finance records for the work performed.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Follow all Mercy Corps policies, procedures, grant compliance and documentation requirements.
- Prepare and maintain filling records of all program activities and other related financial documents.
- Implement and make sure all Mercy Corps Field Finance Manual, procurement, assets
- Receive requests for funds from teams within program sites for activities, check and process requests.
- Prepare payment authorizations. Follow-up on timely disbursement of funds to the staff in these regions.
- Receive, reconcile and submit financial returns from the sub field office to Field office -finance office for account registration purposes.
- Identify and follow up on outstanding obligations.
- Receive, check and submit travel advance claims from field based
- Check and follow up on settlement of personal telephone and sat phone bills for staff.
- Keeps record of all cash, bank, advances and regularly updates
- Carries out weekly cash counts and whenever requested by the Senior Finance Officer, Finance Manager, Country Director and official auditors directed by the supervisor.
- Prints off all payment vouchers and matches with the documents to be filed.
- Pays or receives authorized bank payments and receipts.
- Makes sure all required documents are attached; calculations are correct, appropriate approvals and reviews made per the AAM before payment of any cash or bank payments.
- Enters transactions to the accounting software under the supervision of the Senior Finance Officer whenever required.
- Ensure compliance with GAAPs, Nigerian, US laws and standard accounting practice.
- Code all expenditures following the standard chart of accounts, coded budget and record to the accounting software or recording system daily and ensure weekly review and posting.
- Match invoices/receipts with payment vouchers, GRN and other required documents.
- Prepare cash, bank and advances reconciliations and submit for review/approval every week and monthly.
- Make sure all income taxes, withholding taxes, VAT and other taxes are withheld and paid accordingly.
- Keep all finance documents and reports are properly filed, labeled and stored in a clear and easily accessible manner following FFM.
- Be adaptable and flexible to take new tasks and new assignments as requested from time to time.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Any Other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Experience
- Diploma or advanced certificate or equivalent in accounting or finance is required.
- 1 years’ experience in handling cash and accounting.
- Any Finance experience is preferred.
- Accounting skills and experience in general ledger, journal entries, payroll, cash/bank mgt.
- Computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and accounting software experience.
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Willing to travel to Mercy Corps offices and take temporary assignments..
- Fluency in English, Kanuri and Hausa languages
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building.
- S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level.
- Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
20th June, 2017.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line, be not more than four pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
***NOTE***: Click NEXT to go to the next vacant positions.