Mercy Corps invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant positions below:
- Senior Project Officer – Abuja
- Senior Project Officer – Policy & Governance (Lagos)
- Senior Project Officer – Policy & Governance (Kano)
- Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
- Curriculum Development Consultant
Mercy Corps Recruitment for Senior Project Officer – Abuja
Job Title: Senior Project Officer
Program / Department Summary
- The Educating Nigerian Girls in New Enterprises (ENGINE) Programme is an initiative to improve learning outcomes and the economic status of marginalized adolescent girls aged 16-19 in the Northern Nigerian states of Kano and Kaduna, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and the metropolis of Lagos, Nigeria.
- ENGINE through funding from the UK Department for International Developments Girls Education Challenge, the Coca-Cola Company and other stakeholders supported over 18,000 marginalized girls to reduce education and financial barriers in its first implementation phase.
General Position Summary
- The Senior Project Officers will support ENGINE 2’s policy and governance component of the project.
- S/he will be responsible for working with government to ensure policies are implemented to allow girls thrive by becoming educated and empowered.
- They will also support field implementation of the ENGINE program including coordinating sub-grantee partner, schools/community stakeholders and resources to ensure that the program meets performance-based targets on time and within budget, per DfID requirements.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Support in providing technical leadership for the design, formalization, and management of innovative policy and governance initiatives
- Ensure quality and integrity of implementation, including adherence to technical guidelines, administrative systems, and established deadlines
- Support in evaluating the relevance and appropriateness of current and future programming in relation to policies affecting or hindering girl child education and empowerment
- Coordinate sub-grantee activities including programmatic implementation, budget & liquidation process and timely reporting.
- Provide linkages to opportunities for additional networks within schools, link girls with Islamic and/or community-based education, increasing economic assets through savings clubs and links to financial institutions.
- Ensure implementation of activities is on time, target and budget, using effective systems to reach desired impacts in order to assess the ENGINE effectiveness and impact and propose recommendations for improvements.
- Maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely reporting especially for sub-grantee partners.
- In collaboration with the Monitoring Evaluation and Learning team, implement relevant surveys, need assessments, data and information collection for on-going monitoring in the state assigned.
- With the Deputy Project Director, supervise, hire and orient new field team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Implement performance planning and management systems, establish performance expectations with team members, and regularly provide constructive feedback on team members performance.
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with sub-grantee, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Participate in education coordination and other donor coordination meetings or workshops and/or as requested by the Project Advisor.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- This position reports directly to the Policy and Governance Advisor
Knowledge and Experience
- Master’s Degree or its equivalent in education, Management, Social sciences, International development or other relevant field.
- A minimum of 4 years of progressive work experience including at least 1 year in a technical coordination role on education, gender- focused or skills building program.
- Experience working on a large-scale education or school to work and especially targeting marginalized girls or young women programs required. Prefer expertise in at least one of the following areas: accelerated learning programs, Islamic and/or community-based education targeting community acceptance of girl’s education, increasing economic assets through savings clubs and links to financial institutions.Experience using SMS for training or messaging preferred.
- Strong understanding of DFID compliance issues.
- Strong management skills, with good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues in high security environment. Experience managing a multi-organizational team (international and national partners) is a plus.
- Experience working in Northern Nigeria strongly preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English required, including report development, writing and editing. Hausa language skills preferred
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Demonstrated experience working with state-level ministries and government officials, Ministry of Education experience preferred.
Application Closing Date
21st February, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV’s and Cover letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to:
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Indicate your preferred location.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
***NOTE***: Click NEXT to go to the next vacant positions.