Chemonics invites application from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant position below.
Job Title: Chief of Party
Job Location: Lagos.
Job years of experience: 10+ years
Description: Chemonics seeks a chief of party for an anticipated USAID five year local governance strengthening project in Nigeria. The project aims to increase effectiveness, accountability, and transparency of selected state and local governments. It will focus on strengthening systems to improve the delivery of services in key sectors including basic education, primary health care, and water, sanitation, and hygiene; efficiency of key governance operations; government’s responsiveness to citizen needs and priorities; and government’s and civil society’s capacity to manage conflict. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide overall project leadership, management, and technical direction
- Serve as the project’s primary liaison with the client and all partners and stakeholders
- Oversee work planning, performance management, and strategic communications
- Guide implementation of the project’s strategic long-term vision
- Master’s degree in public administration or policy, public financial management, law, social sciences, or other relevant field
- Minimum 10 years of demonstrated experience in the successful implementation of international development programs, preferably on governance, public financial management, or service delivery activities
- Minimum five years of experience as chief of party, managing complex donor-funded contracts that involve coordination with multiple project stakeholders
- Strong capabilities in human and institutional capacity development; high-level strategic planning and leadership; and collaborating with state-level governors, other government actors, civil society organizations, and other development partners
- Knowledge of local governance and decentralization concepts and principles and an understanding of the Nigerian governance system at the federal, state, and local government level preferred
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Demonstrated leadership in designing, managing, monitoring, and evaluating donor-funded projects, including strategic planning, supervision, and budgeting
HOW TO APPLY: Please send electronic submissions of your CV and cover letter to by April 1, 2017. Please include “Chief of Party” in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.