UNICEF is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: TA WASH Specialist (Emergency), P-4
Job Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- First university degree with additional two-years of relevant work experience is acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- Advanced university Degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public Health, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering, or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance.
- Additional training in Health Education or Communication for Development (Programme Communication), an asset.
Years of Experience:
- Eight years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the UN or other international development organization, national government or the private sector.
- Experience in Emergency (preparedness and response) and the IASC Cluster approach preferred.
- Fluency in English
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication [ II ]
- Working with People [ II ]
- Drive for Results [ II ]
- Leading and Supervising
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts (II)
- Analyzing (III)
- Relating and Networking (II)
- Deciding and Initiating Action (II)
- Applying Technical Expertise (III)
Job Specification(s): Purpose of the Position
- The incumbent of the post will be accountable for formulation, design, planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of WASH programme within the Field Office ensuring efficiency and effectiveness of the programme management, delivery and accomplishment of programme goals and objectives.
- As WASH Specialist in the Field office, direct, lead and manage a group of professional and support staff to develop, manage and administer the WASH programme (with a large humanitarian component).
- The WASH Specialist will work under the overall guidance of the Chief of Field Office, Maidugiri with technical guidance from the Chief of WASH, UNICEF Abuja.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Programme/project Planning, Development and Management:
- Enhance effective programme, sectoral or inter-sectoral, planning, development and management at the Field Office by leading, guiding, coordinating and supporting the timely completion of the Situational Analysis and its periodic update through accurate and complete monitoring and analysis, and the timely preparation or finalization of sectoral input.
- Draft proposals for funding for various emergency funding streams (Flash Appeal, CAP, ERF/CHF, CERF) including contingency planning/ preparedness for recurrent disasters.
- Promote knowledge management by exchange of knowledge, information, situation analysis, experience or lessons learned; promote knowledge sharing and technical input or recommendations on major programme directions and on introduction of new initiatives in the Field office zone.
Rights-Based Programme with Results-Based Approach:
- Promote the quality of rights-based WASH programme through participation in the formulation of programme/project goals, strategies and approaches.
- Bring coherence, synergy and added value to programme management processes using a results-based management approach to planning and design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation in the Field office zone.
Sectoral Work Plan Development, Implementation, and Monitoring:
- Takes primary responsibility for the development of the Field Office sectoral work plan and technical decisions as well as for project management, implementation and monitoring, in compliance with the defined project strategies and approaches.
- Organize and conduct training programmes to strengthen capacity of government partners/ NGOs in emergency preparedness, planning, response, Disaster Risk Reduction and other emerging areas.
Programme Management, Delivery, Evaluation and Reporting:
- Ensure Field Office WASH programme efficiency and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to evaluation. Participation in major evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sector review meetings with government counterparts.
- Ensure the preparation of annual WASH sector status reports from the Field Office.
- Ensure adequate and transparent evaluation of emergency preparedness and response.
- Develop and strengthen information management system for the UNICEF Field Office emergency response linking with sub-national WASH in Emergency (WiE) sector working groups and OCHA.
- Ensure timely and quality contributions to the WiE sector working group as well as to UNICEF SitReps.
Promotion of UNICEF’s Global Goals:
- Promote the organization goals of UNICEF through advocacy and policy dialogue through active engagement in communication, networking and participation at every opportunity inside and outside UNICEF, leveraging the strength of UNICEF mission, goals and programmes, and with reference to the WASH Strategy.
UNICEF and Government Accountability:
- Coordinates with Operations and Supply staff on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability. Certifies disbursements of funds, monitors and submits financial status reports to management in compliance with the regulations and guidelines. Advocate for due attention and support to be given to environmental and sustainable development issues (pertaining to WASH) in all sectors and line ministries.
- Ensure particular attention to Disaster Risk Management, including emergency preparedness and response.
Communication, Collaboration, Networking and Partnership:
- Ensure exchange of information, experience, identify new strategies and courses of action to accelerate/improve delivery of services and achieve WASH programme requirements and objectives. Conduct field visits to monitor programmes and collect information. Conduct periodic programme reviews with Government counterparts and other partners.
- Collaborate with the Operations and Supply Sections and Government authorities to establish and maintain sound internal controls supportive of the Field Office WASH programme or sectoral planning and implementation, to coordinate financial and supply management requirements as well as to ensure accountability.
- Interact with Government and other partners, NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the different stages of WASH programme/project implementation to follow up on agreements and recommendations.
- Provide technical support and guidance on appropriate technical, financial and institutional capacity building measures to achieve Field office WASH programme goals.
- Facilitate sectoral orientation on the ‘Cluster Approach,’ and ensure leadership and coordination of the IASC WASH Cluster through preparedness and emergency response, as required whilst simultaneously ensuring delivery on the CCCs by the UNICEF WASH programme.
- Collaborate with Communication and Programme Communication groups to ensure development of effective communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and social mobilization efforts.
- Overall coordination with the Nigeria country office. Collaborate with other Project or Programme or Emergency Officers to ensure the integration of the project/sectoral programme with other sectors.
Apply Before: 10th January, 2017.
How to Apply: Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
- Please note that Maiduguri is a non-family duty station