The U.S. Embassy, is currently seeking to employ suitable and qualified candidates for the following vacant positions below:
- Nurse (Full Performance)
- Laboratory System Specialist
- Nurse (Trainee Level)
- Development Outreach Communications Specialist
Nurse (Full Performance) Job Vacancy at The U.S. Embassy
Job Title: Nurse (Full Performance)
Location: Abuja – General Services Office (GSO)
Work Hours: Full-time; 40 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- The incumbent provide a range of registered nursing health care services, including rendering of first aid, immunizations, as well as evaluating and assessing a variety of medical conditions through physical examination, and selecting the appropriate treatment, under signed written protocols or referral to the RMO, FSHP or LE Staff medical provider.
- Maintains liaison with local health care providers. Additionally, s/he will conduct health orientations for new arrivals and performs various other medical administrative functions.
Note: All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Must have graduated from a professional nursing school with a current and unrestricted Registered Nurse license from the United States, Western Europe OR Bachelor’s degree (B.Sc) in Nursing is required.
- Minimum of two (2) years Nursing experience, one of which must be working in U.S. government facility medical unit or Embassy health unit, with previous experience teaching at least three of the following health promotion activities, smoking cessation, weight reduction, well child anticipatory guidance, emergency first aid, prenatal classes, community emergency response, CPR, safe food services, healthy lifestyle, HIV protection is required.
- Level IV (Fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required. Language Proficiency will be tested.
- Ability to administer adult/pediatric immunization program according to current CDC standards required as well as familiarity with American Nursing standards of care is required.
- Must have basic computer skill and good calculation skills.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility.
- If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process.
- Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selecvtional Criteria:
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection. Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
OR – Ordinarily Resident – N8,168,957 p.a (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-09 In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – Not Ordinarily Resident – AEFM – US$51,560 EFM/MOH – US$44,250 (Full-Starting Salary) p.a.
Position Grade: FP-5/1*
Application Closing Date
20th December, 2016
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS – 174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS – 174; plus,
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g.transcripts, degrees, NYSC certificate/exemption etc.)
- A type – written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e – mail) submissions to one entry/e – mail not larger than 5MB. Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E – mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Click here to download the Position Descriptions (PDF)
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required work and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration. A U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of mission (com) authority does have to Be assigned officially to post.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact applicants who are being considered. Thank you for your understanding.
***NOTE***: Click NEXT to go to the next vacant positions.