Mercy Corps is currently recruiting for the position below:
Job Title: Senior Finance Officer
Job Location: Abuja
Educational Qualification: A university degree in Accounting is required.
Years of Experience:
- Four or more years of general ledger accounting experience is required.
- Two years experience in the Finance Department of an international NGO is preferred.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Prior work experience in Nigeria and knowledge of the local dialect is a must
- Demonstrated competency with computerized general ledger software
Job Specification(s): Department Functions
- The MC Nigeria Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
- The MC Nigeria Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
- Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Finance Manager, the Senior Finance Officer will ensure the accuracy and completeness of Mercy Corps accounting records and will have primary responsibility for managing the monthly accounting cycle.
- Daily management of the assistant finance officer
- Oversee daily cash count with the assistant finance officer
- Coordinate the preparation and ensure the on-time submission of the monthly reporting package to HQ
- Oversee the maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded
- Assist in the training and support of the finance officers in field offices, including answering daily questions, training new hires, making field visits, etc.
- Monitor cash and bank balances and coordinate monthly cash flow requests from sub-offices; prepare consolidated country cash flow requests to HQ
- Assist the Finance Manager in responding to audit inquiries
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Manage the month end accounting close process, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the ledger, sub-journals and all supporting documentation in all country offices.
- Primary responsibility for maintaining the general ledger software files, including set up and maintenance of new project accounts, regular back-up of files, etc.
- Review sub-journals and upload data to the general ledger
- Prepare revenue recognition entries and other final closing journal entries
- Enter, post and maintain filing of monthly journal entries
- Prepare month end balance sheet account reconciliations
- Other duties as assigned.
- As part of Mercy Corps’ agency-wide Organizational Learning Initiative, all team members are responsible for spending 5% of their work time in formal and/or non-formal professional learning activities.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Apply Before: 7th December, 2016.
How to Apply: Qualified and interested candidates should submit applications which will include a one-page cover letter with salary requirements, CV with references, original transcripts, degree certification and NYSC Certificate to: [email protected]
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted