African Development Bank (AfDB) is recruiting to fill the vacant positions below:
- Senior Research Economist – EDRE.1
- Driver – Angola Country Office (AOFO)
- Principal Research Economist
- Driver – Ethiopia Country Office (ETFO)
Senior Research Economist – EDRE.1 Job Vacancy at AfDB
Job Title: Senior Research Economist – EDRE.1
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50069153 / 50065150
- The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (CE/VP) is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the VP for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’.
- The CE/VP is responsible for:
- Providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy;
- Systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies.
- The CE/VP will inspire, generate and provide direct support to the President and Senior Management of the Bank on a broad range of technical and management issues within the broad remit of economic, finance, public financial governance, management and social economics.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The AfDB’s Development Research Department activities consist in devising and undertaking a program of research and analysis on priority social and economic development issues that support the Bank’s policy and operations agenda. It comprises about 25 researchers in two Divisions.
- The Microeconomic, Institutional and Development Impact Division (EDRE.1) focuses on issues related to development finance, private sector development and regional integration; and has, among other research activities, the mandate to assess private sector and regional operations using the Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment (ADOA) framework.
- The Division is seeking to strengthen its team of analysts by recruiting a Senior Research Economist with expertise in the areas of economics, finance and private sector development as well as other development issues relevant for Africa.
By filling this position the Division is intending to consolidate its contribution to the implementation of Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy and foster the relevance of the Research Department to operations and member countries, through:
- Enhancing the operational effectiveness of the Bank, by improving quality-at-entry of the Bank’s operations through the Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment (ADOA).
- Strengthening the Bank Results Framework
- Consolidating the implementation of the Research Department agenda in accordance to the High 5s (Bank’s 5 Priority areas), through the production of the Bank’s flagship publications, working papers, market studies and impact evaluation exercises
- Strengthening knowledge generation in the area of inclusive and green growth, including financial inclusion.
- Improving support to Top management through providing real time economic intelligence (through drafting of statements, speeches, policy briefs) for the Bank’s President and Senior Management on economic development issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Director and the direct supervision of the Manager, the incumbent’s Duties and Responsibilities will be as follows:
- Contribute to Ex-ante Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment (ADOA) of Bank’s operations:
- Provide inputs for ex-ante Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment (ADOA) of the African Development Bank Private Sector Operations, Regional Operations and any other type of operation as required by the management.
- Contribute to any revisions to the ADOA framework on the basis of implementation experience and lessons from other Development Finance institutions.
- Contribute in research activities in the areas in the areas supporting the Bank’s High 5s (High priority areas: Light Up and Power Africa (Energy), Feed Africa (Agriculture and Nutrition), Industrialize Africa (Industrialization), Integrate Africa (Regional Integration) and Improve quality of live for Africans (Sustainable socio-economic development)). This includes also strengthening knowledge generation in the area of inclusive and green growth, including financial inclusion in particular.
- Provide inputs into the production of the Bank’s flagship publications:
- Contribute to the preparation of the report or assigned section, write such sections and follow it through with peer reviews and publication.
- Disseminate the findings of reports.
- Provide technical and analytical inputs into the work of Operations Complexes:
- Provide input into Country Strategy Papers (CSPs).
- Participate in Economic Sector Works (ESW).
- Peer review project, program, policy documents, including documents submitted to the Operations Committee.
- Contribute to Bank Economic Intelligence documents:
- Provide economic intelligence (statement, policy briefs) to Senior Management on economic development issues.
- Provide professional inputs in the Bank’s “Working Papers Series ” and the Bank’s “African Development Review”:
- Publish research papers and review submitted articles to the African Development Review and Working Paper Series.
- Participate in collaborative research and knowledge management activities carried out jointly with regional and international organizations, research and capacity building institutions in Africa, development research centers and universities.
- Review operation documents and participate in review meetings.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor or Management.
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Hold a Ph.D. in Economics, Finance, or related Social Sciences or a Master degree in these fields complemented by strong evidence of practical experience in project evaluation, economic analysis or Finance.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in development policy research and analysis of economic and financial conditions that are of relevance for the High 5s (Bank priority areas), including financial inclusion.
- Experience in project analysis, and/or monitoring and evaluation. Experience in ex-ante evaluation systems is a plus
- Publication record in international peer reviewed journals, working papers, book chapters, reports, etc.
- Strong knowledge and background in the use of statistical and econometric methods and packages in finance and development economics research; theoretical knowledge to develop and implement research programs; ability to design and manage research projects from conceptualisation to publication.
- Ability to participate or undertake research projects with limited supervision; clear written and oral communication skills as well as mature interpersonal and professional relationships.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English and/or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Proven skills in drafting and preparation of policy memoranda;
- Competence in the use of Microsoft standard software (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
- For this position team work skills are critical: ability to work in interdisciplinary environment, contribute constructive comments and receive positively the views of team members on own work. Ability to work with colleagues in other Complexes, especially in Operations.
Application Closing Date
28th November, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
***NOTE***: Click NEXT to go to the next vacant positions.