The U.S. Embassy in Abuja is currently seeking to employ suitable and qualified candidate for the position below:
Job Title: Physician, FSN- 12/FP-03*
Job Location: Abuja
Educational Qualification: Doctorate degree in Medicine with a license to practice in Nigeria. Completion of formal internship, minimum of three years formal residency training or equivalent training as certified by Master of Medicine (M/MED) and current U.S. specialty Board certification (or European equivalent) is required.
Years of Experience: Minimum of six (6) years of progressive experience in internal medicine, family medicine, pediatrics, emergency medicine and OB/GYN is required.
- Must have good working knowledge of Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Pediatric Advanced Life Support, Advanced Trauma Life Support, and Emergency Preparedness for chemical, biological and radiological situations.
- Must be sensitive to the needs and feelings of others and have a customer-service orientation.
- Level IV (Fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required. Language Proficiency will be tested.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility.
- If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
Or – Ordinarily Resident – N12,970, 979 p.a (Full-Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-12
Part – Time basic salary – N6,485,490 p.a In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – Not Ordinarily Resident – AEFM – US$78,529 EFM/MOH – US$67,395 (Full-Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-03*
Part-Time basic salary – AEFM – US$39,265 EFM/MOH – US$33,698
- The incumbent provides medical services and serves as primary care physician to approximately 156 direct hire American officers and their family members in the mission and agencies.
- S/He helps in planning and administering the health program at post, including at-post
- hospitalizations and medical evacuations.
- S/He serves as consulting and on-call physician for high-level VIP visits when the Regional Medical Officer (RMO) and/or Foreign Service Health Practitioner (FSHP) are not present.
- S/he sees 377 Foreign Service National employees upon occasion of injury on the job, referring any who become ill at work to their private physicians.
Apply Before: 14th October, 2016.
How to Apply: Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit Application to: HRNigeria@state.gov
Click here to download the Position Descriptions (PDF)
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required work and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration. A U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of mission (com) authority does have to Be assigned officially to post.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact applicants who are being considered. Thank you for your understanding