Mercy Corps is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources Specialist
Job Location: Abuja
Educational Qualification: At least a Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management or in a related field
Years of Experience: 5-7 years of professional experience with at least 5 years of progressive and hands-on HR generalist experience evident in multiple human resource disciplines, including compensation practices, organizational diagnosis, employee and union relations, diversity, performance management, and relevant employment laws
Other Requirements: Competencies Required:
- Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, benefits administration, organizational planning and development, employee relations, safety, training and development and office administration.
- Proven success in managing an HR team.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully participate in senior management teams that provide leadership and strategic direction.
- Must have unparalleled business acumen and must possess project management skills
- Must exhibit a high level of initiative, flexibility and credibility
- Must have a working knowledge and be current with all relevant employment related laws.
- Excellent analytical skills and good reasoning abilities and sound judgment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Superior interpersonal and coaching skills including patience and ability to work well with staff at all levels.
- Proven experience in Crisis/ Conflict Management.
- Membership of relevant professional body (CIPM, SHRM, etc) is an added advantage
- Fluency in English is required. Hausa will be a plus.
- The successful candidate will be proactive, creative and a problem solver.
- S/he will demonstrate strong understanding of cultural and social environment in the region and have the willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide verity of people.
- S/he will be conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment.
- S/he will be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and will be capable of multitasking.
Living /Environmental Conditions
- This position will be based in Abuja with estimated 15% travel, primarily to program locations within the Middle Belt and Northeast and other conflict-affected states, where security is at times high-risk.
- Security in Abuja is generally good, although there are times when security is an issue.
- Housing, health care, water, electricity and consumer goods are all reasonably accessible and there are good international and domestic travel options from Abuja Airport.
- The Human Resources Specialist is a short term position created to fill in the gap in this crucial role until the national HR Manager is recruited.
- The Human Resources Manager will coordinate implementation of services, policies, and programs through Human Resources staff.
- The Human Resource Specialist is a senior position reporting directly to the Country Director and is part of the Senior Leadership Team.
- The position is based in Abuja with travel to field office as requested. The position provides specialized support to Mercy Corps’ programs in Nigeria, assisting in the achievement of Mercy Corps goals by facilitating policy and systems for human resource needs to ensure efficient and effective operations.
- This position will ensure human resources practices and objectives that will provide an employee-oriented, high performance culture that emphasizes empowerment, quality, goal attainment, and the recruitment and ongoing development of a committed and skilled workforce.
Essential Job Functions
Human Resource Management:
- Implement transparent and appropriate HR practice, standards/procedures and policies in accordance with Mercy Corps Nigeria Employee Handbook to strengthen the Human Resources (HR) function overall. This should include the rollout of the Handbook in the offices, training of HR/Admin staff, improvement of electronic and paper personal files, improvement in personal database files and leave tracking.
- Manage and ensure that all Mercy Corps Human Resources are in compliance with the human resource protocols, record keeping (including HR forms, timesheet, employee data sheets, ID cards, disciplinary papers, performance evaluations and other HR files) and management of required information for compensation and benefits administration.
- Identify weaknesses in current HR systems. Advise supervisor on outstanding issues and assist in designing and implementing, as required.
- Provide guidelines and technical assistance related to the Human Resources function to all Mercy Corps staff.
- Work with senior managers and director to ensure that they and staff follow procedures, policies, performance review are conducted on time and staff takes regular annual leave.
- Oversee the clearance of terminated employees, as per Mercy Corps Nigeria policies and procedures.
- Manage all human resource related legal issues in compliance with Nigeria labor law.
- Determine and recommend employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation within the offices.
- Ensure diversity in Mercy Corps teams.
- Oversee the monthly procedure of time allocation for all staff including collection, review and compilation into payroll, and training new staff on timesheet procedure. Process monthly timesheet summary in conjunction with finance staff and ensure payroll is delivered in a timely manner to all offices.
- Participate in recruitment, disciplinary and termination meetings of all national staff in coordination with Country Director and Program Manager/Director. Ensure recruitment systems allow Mercy Corps Nigeria to hire top-quality staff members.
- Ensure that onboarding process is developed and conducted leading to new hires smooth transition to Mercy Corps.
- Ensure that leave tracking system is functional and up to date.
Training and Development:
- Put in place a staff development plans.
- Identify and develop diverse and skilled sources of talent; coordinate hiring activities across field offices to insure continuity and best practice.
- Work closely with all senior managers to ensure that staff development plans are in place for all team members and that indicators of success are developed and measured.
- Ensure the effective implementation of the performance management system that includes performance development plans and work plans and employee development programs. This including building the capacity of national staff through internal and external trainings.
- Lead high-qualify new staff induction and orientation programs for new employees and visitors.
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work: participation, transparency, feedback and learning, and complaint mechanisms.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- HR team.
Reports Directly to:
- Country Director
Works Directly with:
- Mercy Corps operation staff, finance, program team and partner organizations, other Mercy Corps staff.
Apply Before: Not Specified
How to Apply: Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting.
- Staff are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.