Cuso International is recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: YouLead Gender Equality Coordinator
Job Location: Calabar, Nigeria
- · A University Degree in Social Sciences, Gender Studies or similar field. A post university qualification would be an added advantage.
- · Technical training in gender equality and/or the empowerment of women and girls.
Years of Experience: Minimum of Five (5) years’ experience in gender equality programming/mainstreaming, preferably with an international organization, aid agency or other development organization
- Technical knowledge and experience in the implementation of transformative gender approaches, complex gender analysis and advocacy related to gender issues
- Strong experience in strategic planning and work planning
- · Knowledge of Nigeria context, opportunities, challenges, etc. on gender integration and gender mainstreaming.
- Strong experience in gender analysis and development and implementation of gender responsive tools, preferably in areas related to YouLead’s components
- · Track record on development of gender sensitive indicators and monitoring;
- Experience in working with a variety of partners and stakeholders from public and private sectors, civil society and community groups
- Experience in networking and alliance building
- Experience in program or project design
- Experience from both INGO sectors is an advantage
Knowledge of main donor requirements in term of gender integration including GAC.
- High level of understanding of gender issues and gender analysis
- Highly knowledgeable of youth and gender issues
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and public relations skills
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building and skills-transfer to local organizations and on-the-Job training for staff
- Strong organizational, research, negotiation, analysis and training skills
- Demonstrated analytical skills on gender issues
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated capacity to provide strategic vision
- Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines;
- Knowledge designing and delivering capacity building for technical teams
- Adaptation: ability to work well under pressure and with various stakeholders, and meet deadlines
- Highly motivated and passionate about gender equality
- Responsible, self-directed, resourceful and flexible
- Collaborative approach; team player
- Problem solving skills
- Innovative – always looking for new ways of addressing gender inequality and empowering women and girls.
- Entrepreneurial – always looking for opportunities to contribute to gender equality and women’s economic empowerment
- The Gender Equality Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the implementation of the YouLead Gender Equality Strategy (GES) and Action Plan (GEAP) in alignment with Cuso International Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Strategy (GESI) and programming guidelines, and with Global Affairs Canada (GAC) Gender Equality Policy.
- The GE Coordinator will coordinate reporting on the achievement of gender equality results as outlined in the YouLead Performance Measurement Framework (PMF).
- The GE Coordinator will lead the on-going review and updating of the GES and GEAP to ensure that they are in line on evolving best practices.
- S/he will provide technical and methodical support to the YouLead Team with specific relevance to:
- · Achieving gender equality in youth entrepreneurship training and youth leadership, and ensuring that special arrangements are made to allow wives, mothers and disabled to access training gender mainstreaming value chain assessment and development, and ensure that women are not displaced from their traditional value chains while having greater access to non-traditional value chains and jobs.
- · Gender analysis and program development for equitable financial inclusion, including equitable assess to commercial banks, microfinance institutions, and village savings and loan associations.
- · Engendering natural resources management – policy, strategy, implementation and monitoring
- · Promoting and advocating for an equitable green jobs/green economy – closing the gender gap in workforce for green economy and renewable energy.
- · Promoting and advocating for equitable participation of women in professional and technical training for the green economy.
- · Using a gender perspective in the preparation of reports and media for the Project.
- · Provide gender capacity building for staff, project partners representing government, civil society and private sector, and develop shared strategy for implementation of local Gender Equality policies and other Laws aimed at achieving gender equality in Cross River State.
SUPERVISION AND COLLABORATION
- The YouLead Gender Equality Coordinator is under the direct supervision of the YouLead Team Leader.
- The GE Coordinator will work closely with Project Managers (PMs): Entrepreneurship and Value Chain Development; Natural Resource Management Policy; Financial Inclusion, and Knowledge & Communication, and other staff who make up the YouLead Team.
- S/he will have access to technical support from the YouLead Standing Offer GE Consultant, Cuso International Gender Equality Global Lead, and the YouLead Project Advisor based in Canada.
- The Gender Equality Coordinator will also carry out any other role/task as requested by the Project Team Leader and Country Director.
- STRATEGY AND PLANNING:
- · Provide leadership and coordination of the YouLead Team in the implementation of the GES and GEAP
- · Provide leadership and technical support in the review and development of YouLead strategies
- · Provide leadership and technical support in the development and implementation of the annual work plan, and working with Project Managers (PMs) provide support in the development of quarterly/monthly work plans
- · Facilitate the institutionalization of gender equality across the project
- · Collaborate with PMs and Finance Manager on the annual budget for gender equality interventions.
2. TECHNICAL AND METHODOLOGICAL SUPPORT
- · Coordinate capacity building initiatives of YouLead staff to design and deliver component specific gender responsive intervention
- · Working with PMs, coordinate GE assessments and capacity building of YouLead partners and stakeholders
- · Manage the relationship with, and coordinate the work plans of, the YouLead Gender Champion
- · Develop, adapt and facilitate the use of effective GE tools and processes to guide programme staff deliver GE results.
3. GENDER RESEARCH AND ADVOCACY
- · Keep abreast of research and policy development on gender equality
- · Gather relevant information on gender and YouLead project specific interventions
- · Map out and develop alliances with organizations working on gender issues in Cross River State, Nigeria and internationally6
- · Contribute to Cuso International discussions on gender equality coordinated by Cuso International, Ottawa
- · Raise YouLead profile among Cross River State and Nigerian organizations focussing on gender equality
- · Collaborate with PMs on ensuring gender equality is effectively mainstreamed in component research
- · Facilitate gender equality research as required
- · Work closely with other members of the YouLead team and Gender Standing Offer Consultant to organize relevant gender equality events including workshops, press conferences, talk show interviews, documentaries, etc.
4. DOCUMENTATION OF BEST PRACTICES
- · Contribute to the organization of learning events on project practices ad approaches in relation to gender equality interventions
- · Promote replication of documented best practices on gender equality among partners, stakeholders and across Nigeria
- · Work closely with Project Managers to develop policy briefs and relevant advocacy materials ensuring gender is mainstreamed in communication materials
5. MONITORING AND REPORTING
- · In collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Team, review and refine gender sensitive monitoring tools and processes
- · Coordinate reporting processes on gender interventions and prepare mid-term and annual report reports as required
- · Document lessons learned from review processes in order to continuously improve the quality of gender equality interventions
- · Work with Communication Manage to development media to highlight YouLead’s successes in gender equality.
How to Apply: