UNICEF seeks to recruit to fill the following vacant positions:
- Communication Specialist
- Senior Programme Assistant (Communication for Development)
- Senior Programme Assistant
Communication Specialist Job Vacancy at UNICEF
Job Title: Communication Specialist, NO-C
Job Number: 499112
Work Type : Temporary Appointment
Purpose of the Position
- The Communications Specialist reports to the Chief of Communications for guidance and direction.
- The Specialist provides technical and operational support in developing, implementing and monitoring communications and public advocacy strategies and associated activities/products to raise awareness on the issues concerning children’s rights, specially the most disadvantaged, and to mobilize/engage partners, constituents, civil society and the general public to promote social movement to achieve social and political change to improve the rights, survival and wellbeing of children in the country.
Key Expected Results
1.) Support to development of communications and public advocacy activities:
- Assess global/local social, economic and political trends and public interests and collect/evaluate/select information/data (key achievements, success stories, etc.) to establish comprehensive and evidence-based data for planning and developing CO UNICEF’s strategic communications and public advocacy initiatives and related products and activities to raise awareness on children’s rights and equity to achieve social and political action/change for children’s rights and equity.
- Prepare materials and related documentations for country and program advocacy and communications strategies and plans (as a component of the CO and/or UNDAF programs).
- Ensure digital content and engagement efforts are sufficiently integrated into the overall strategy.
- Work closely at operational level with a wide range of partners and stakeholders to ensure synergy, integration, coherence, and harmonization of communications and advocacy activities in accordance with CO goals and targets.
2.) Implementation of communications and public advocacy activities:
- Write/prepare communications and media materials for multiple media format (e.g. print, digital and social media, TV/Radio, etc.) highlighting program and project achievements and success stories and UNICEF’s position, competencies, and comparative advantage in communication and public advocacy initiatives/activities. Monitor the process of production and implementation of multi-media initiatives for compliance with targets and plans.
- Carry out media, information and other public advocacy activities in support of UNICEF-assisted development programs or humanitarian efforts in the country. Assist in organizing media/special events by developing/selecting materials and other communication tools to showcase UNICEF’s program success stories/initiatives and contribution to improving the rights, wellbeing and development of children in the country.
- Identify, establish and maintain active interaction/relations with media and other strategic partners to communicate/advocate UNICEF’s competencies and achievements to ensure their engagement, interests and support in promoting social/political engagement for political action on children’s rights.
- Conduct and/or participate in organizational M & E and Evaluation reviews to assess efficacy/outcome of communications (including digital) and public advocacy efforts on UNICEF and CO Strategic Plans/Goals. Take timely action to ensure the achievement of results as planned and allocated. Alert Supervisor for timely intervention/action. Integrate lessons learned in development planning and improvements.
3.) Development and implementation of digital strategies:
- Manage a country communication team that effectively executes a comprehensive digital engagement plan encompassing the elements noted below.
- Provide a vision and plan for the digital communications approach, especially helping identify new opportunities in digital (multiplatform/mobile web, social media and multimedia).
- Conceptualize, design, plan, formulate, execute, monitor and evaluate digital initiatives for Country Office’s key audiences. Ensure coordination on strategy, localization and tactics for digital initiatives.
- Conceptualize, execute and evaluate strategies emphasizing interaction and dialogue (interactive web based spaces around specific issues) and enabling Country Office to convene, to frame and to sustain discussions within and among certain target groups.
- Plan and integrate digital products as part of the communications strategy, and advise or lead others in their use to ensure their maximum effectiveness.
- Continually and comprehensively monitor Country Office’s presence on digital platforms to ensure priorities and positioning are well represented.
- Work with Digital Governance team to ensure digital initiatives adhere to policies, standards, guidelines, and reputational risk criteria.
- Work with other sections in the development of joint initiatives that include the use of new technology to enhance country’s programmatic work.
- Stay abreast of research related to traditional and new media, and new digital technologies including multiplatform/mobile web, social media and multimedia. Guide the close monitoring of social media for new trends and platforms
4.) Technical and operational support:
- Collaborate with internal CO and HQ/RO colleagues on media strategies, approaches, policies and communications and public advocacy and resource mobilization planning, implementation and delivery of results.
- Participate in CO strategic discussions to collaborate on policy and agenda setting for communication and public advocacy related external relations/resource mobilization initiatives.
5.) Advocacy, networking and partnership building:
- Identify, build and maintain partnerships through networking and proactive collaboration with strategic partners, e.g. celebrities, journalist, media, all sectors/levels of (socially aware) society and critical audience to reinforce cooperation and/or pursue opportunities for public advocacy to promote UNICEF mission and goals for child rights, equity and inclusiveness.
- Collaborate with internal global/regional communication partners to harmonize, link and/or coordinate messaging and use of multiple media to enhance communications and outreach.
- Participate in organizational and/or inter-agency (UNCT) discussions and planning to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues in the UNDAF planning and preparation of communications and resource mobilization initiatives including emergencies.
6.) Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building:
- Implement innovative practices, approaches, latest technology on use of multiple media and social and digital platforms for communications and public advocacy that are appropriate/available for the CO context and audience.
- Institutionalize and disseminate best practices, knowledge products and knowledge learned with global/local partners and stakeholders.
- Organize and implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders to develop, produce and disseminate multiple media communications and public advocacy materials for maximum outreach and impact.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- An Advanced University degree in communications, journalism, public relations or other related social science field is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in areas of external relations, journalism, communications and public advocacy/affairs, digital communications and related areas at the international and/or large organization some of which preferably were served in a developing country is required.
- Relevant experience in related areas in a UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Working with People
- Drive for Results
- Leading and supervising
- Formulating strategies/concepts
- Relating and networking
- Persuading and influencing
- Applying Technical Expertise
- Entrepreneurial thinking
Application Closing Date
29th September, 2016.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
***NOTE***: Click NEXT to go to the next vacant positions.