VSO is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Development & Funding Manager (PDFM)
Job Location: Abuja
Educational Qualification: Education at Bachelor’s level or equivalent in development studies, social sciences and or relevant field;
Years of Experience:
Other Requirements: Skills/Experience Required:
- Extensive experience in multi-sector programme design in several countries
- Experience with participatory research, evaluation and consultations as used in workshop facilitation and situational analysis
- Experience of preparing compelling, high quality documentation (concept notes, presentations, proposals, budgets, reports, etc) for different partner and donor audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills, including written, verbal and presentation skills used in international settings -experience of leading and facilitating workshops and training
- Ability to be self-directed and take initiative within organisational mandates – sound judgement and strong administrative and organisational skills
- Experience of establishing partnerships between organisations including teaming agreement and consortia bid development
- Proven track record in writing winning donor proposals for donors including USAID, EC, UKAID, SIDA and UN Agencies – including proven ability to develop log frames, monitoring frameworks, and theories of change
- IT skills including fluency in Microsoft office suite and database usage.
- To lead donor engagement and proposal development in line with VSO Nigeria strategy, including the development of partnerships and consortium, writing narrative proposals and developing project budgets.
- Ensuring funding strategy aligns to signature packages; work with country office and programme funding manager to ensure funding plans reflect programme strategy and appropriate national and regional donor mapping is up to date
- Support Country Office to respond to funding opportunities from institutional donors, trusts & foundations, the corporate sector and major donors (directly and/or through coordinated support from global funding and programme teams);
- Advise on, and support the development of, consortia with other I/NGOs to ensure VSO is well positioned for upcoming funding opportunities
Donor and Partner Engagement:
- Support local engagement with partners and donors – advising the country team on appropriate and prioritized engagement strategies; participate in local INGO forums, thematic groups etc,
- Gather donor intelligence from partner and donor meetings to feed into country and regional planning
- Where necessary, provide presentation materials (e.g. signature packages, concept notes, briefings) for country office staff to use for donor / partner meetings
- Support the collation of evidence based Country Office programme design through the creation of programme strategy documents (including signature packages)
- Ensure programme design is informed by and aligns with donor trends and national development priorities – identify additional relevant development interventions, including advocacy, and cross cutting themes as appropriate
- Support the local contextualisation of VSO’s global flagship frameworks
Proposal development and proposal writing, Bid:
- Evaluate bids against country / programme strategy to support their go / no go decisions
- Write proposals and concept notes as required
- Participate as member of bid team including as: proposal lead, reviewer, content provider; facilitate proposal development workshops as needed
Contract Management and Grant Monitoring:
- For secured contracts, facilitate grant start up; support programme team to design and implement appropriate monitoring & evaluation systems
- Monitor spend rates and delivery toward agreed upon targets; write reports for donors, provide ongoing local donor / partner engagement during implementation,
- Support capacity building and training of country office team and local partners on proposal development and help conduct trainings to continually build capacity and promote effective and efficient processes
- Share learning, knowledge and tools with larger organisation to advance good practice and innovation
Key Performance Indicators
The country office meets or exceeds its income targets:
- Amount of proposals submitted and the value of those applications
- Success rate of applications
The country office’s donor base is deepened and diversified:
- Donor engagement strategies development and pursued in country
- Partnerships with consortia partners agreed (teaming agreements and MOUs signed)
CO capacity is developed through the process of articulating signature packages and preparing funding proposals in a participatory manner with emphasis on learning by doing:
- Evaluation feedback from CO and wider VSO team is positive
- Quality of documents and tools leads to replication and adaptation within VSO and beyond
Programmes are well designed and prepared in advance:
- Signature packages are completed for country office
- Flagship frameworks are locally contextualised
- Information about CO fundraising priorities are shared with Donor Managers across VSO in market places & other forum
Working together: Strength:
- Successfully leads proposals teams and participates as a reliable and positive team-member in all working relationships
Managing People: Aware
- Requests and follows up on appropriate support from others; raises concerns about uncooperative colleagues in an appropriate way.
Developing People: Adds Value:
- Offers constructive advice to others and provides ongoing coaching throughout the proposal development process
Leading for the Future: Adds Value:
- Builds confidence and excitement in VSO’s work and vision, both internally and externally; suggests innovative projects.
Thinking Strategically: Adds value:
- Advances strategic project
Delivering Results: Strength:
- Adopts a goal-oriented, problem-solving team mentality and ensures timely, high quality results.
Communicating & influencing: Strength:
- Inspires others by: advocating plans and ideas within and outside VSO;
Managing Knowledge: Strength:
- Leads initiatives that improve knowledge management; develops others’ knowledge management skills
Striving for excellence: Strength:
- Contributes ideas to improve processes, policies and approaches; is a role model for continuous learning and improvement.
Managing Resources: Adds Value:
- Organizes own and others’ work to meet objectives; clarifies accountability of roles; seeks ways to generate and save money.
Apply Before: 24th August, 2016.
How to Apply: Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
Interview/Assessment date(s) 29th, August, 2016.
Start Date 12th, September, 2016.