The U.S. Embassy in Nigeria is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position below:
Job Title: Correspondence Team Lead
Job Location: Lagos – Consular Section (CONS).
Educational Qualification: A University degree in one of the following: Social Sciences, Accounting,
Humanities, Language Arts, or Natural Science is required.
Years of Experience: Minimum of three (3) years work experience in Consular or other work related to
customer services, correspondence, or the application of regulatory material is required.
Level IV (fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required.
Level IV (fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa is required.
Language proficiency will be tested.
Thorough knowledge of immigration laws, regulations and procedures is required.
Ability to draft correspondence and respond independently to inquiries is required.
Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel is required.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
The complete position description listing all of the duties and responsibilities may be
obtained on our website at http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/hr_office.html and/or by
telephone number 09-461-4000 Ext. 4261
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS:
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a
hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants
accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a
determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP**
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran
must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate
of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S.
Department of Veterans Affairs. If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’
preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility. If the written
documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date
of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the
application process. Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference
after reviewing all required documentation is final.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply.
3. Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PAS) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
4. The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
5. Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
Job Specification(s): The incumbent responds accurately and efficiently to incoming email, phone and postal
mail correspondence regarding American Citizens Services and immigrant and nonimmigrant
visa from both the public and Congressional offices.
Apply Before: Not Specified
How to Apply: Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application
will not be considered:
1. Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or
curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
2. Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed
above (e.g. transcripts, degrees, NYSC certificate/exemption etc.).
3. A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position,
and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job
title and announcement number on the application letter.
4. Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
5. E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will
not be considered.
WHERE TO APPLY:
Email Address: HRNigeria@state.gov
**Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
The U.S. Mission in Nigeria provides
equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without
regard to race, color religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation,
marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve
equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity
The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been
denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation. Individuals
with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures,
remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.