Mercy Corps Nigeria is recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Adolescent Girls Program Manager
Job Location: Gombe
Educational Qualification: MA or equivalent in relevant field
Years of Experience: 5-7 years of field experience in international relief and/or development programs, including in managing programs in transitional or emergency environments.
- Experience in adolescent programing, gender or general protection programming is essential.
- Previous working experience in Africa required
- Demonstrated success working effectively and respectfully with host country governments, private sector, INGO, NGO partners and other stakeholders in complex environments
- Successful and proven negotiation, communication and organization skills
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment
- Fluency in Hausa is a plus
The successful candidate will provide effective leadership and management of the I-SING program activities, staff and resources. S/he will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building. S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
The position will be based in Gombe town ( Gombe state) or Biu town, Borno state, Nigeria and it requires substantial amount of travel between field locations in Gombe, Adamawa and Borno states. Considering the frequent travel from/to different field locations, this position will require flexibility in terms of accommodation and logistics. Housing will be in hotels or guesthouse where available. Security in the field locations require additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously.
Access to good medical services in north east is limited. Phone communication, internet, electricity and water is available but might be erratic.
The location is eligible for hardship and R&R (every 10 weeks) benefits. Working hours require flexibility and working through weekends/evenings might be necessary.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all locations.
General Position Summary
The Program Manager, as a member of the humanitarian team, will provide leadership and management for the EU Trust Fund funded project called “ Investing in the Safety and Integrity of Nigerian Girls (I-SING)” . S/he will set and lead the technical and management side of the program with a focus on gender and protection issues as they relate to adolescent girls and boys.
Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since December 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. In mid-2014 Mercy Corps has decided to address the rising humanitarian needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities by in the north east Nigeria and started its humanitarian program.
With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, EU and ECHO the humanitarian program has been focusing on food assistance, non-food items distribution, protection, livelihoods support, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
“Investing in the Safety and Integrity of Nigerian Girls (I-SING)” is a two year program that aims to improve the safety, livelihoods and personal agency of adolescent girls in North East Nigeria. Program investment will go to the activities in protection, informal education, and economic opportunity. While the primary target are adolescent girls, boys will also be program participants. The program will be implemented in three states: Borno (southern part), Gombe and Adamawa.
All Mercy Corps interventions in Nigeria are implemented in a conflict and gender sensitive manner.
Essential Job Functions
- Oversee program start-up and ongoing program management and administration of teams across various field locations.
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities, authorities, partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
- Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability criteria
- Develop and oversee program implementation strategies, including partnership frameworks, beneficiary targeting, distribution processes and capacity building of partners as needed.
- Initiate needs assessments, surveys and other data gathering tools to ensure that Mercy Corps has continued access to updated information and is able to address emerging needs in timely manner
- Integrate community approaches and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
- Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to achieve the desired impact
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources and timely, accurate and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures
- Fulfill Mercy Corps Program Management Minimum Standards based on the organization-wide guide.
- Lead the program team in implementation of the program activities
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect in which team members strive to achieve excellence
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews
- Hire, orient and supervise new team members as necessary
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
Finance, Operations and Compliance Management
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to the I-SING program
- Manage program budget
- Consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs
Accountability: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: program staff
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Team Leader
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: operations, finance, other peer program managers, TSU team members, and others.
Apply Before: Not Specified
How to Apply: Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply