UNESCO is recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: DIRECTOR OF MULTISECTORAL REGIONAL OFFICE IN ABUJA AND UNESCO REPRESENTATIVE TO NIGERIA, BENIN, GUINEA, LIBERIA, SIERRA LEONE AND TOGO
Job Location: Abuja
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in a discipline related to UNESCO’s mandate, public or business administration or international relations. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Years of Experience: At least ten (10) years of progressive professional experience at the appropriate management level within the United Nations system or within other international or national institutions, including a wide experience in development issues related to UNESCO’s areas of competence, in association with national and international organizations.Experience in advocacy, resources and partnership mobilization.
Other Requirements: Skills/Competencies
- Commitment to the Organization’s mandate, vision, strategic direction and priorities.
- Institutional leadership capacity, high sense of objectivity and professional integrity, diplomacy, tact and political astuteness.
- Ability to interact with a wide range of high-level partners, and demonstrated partnership development and fundraising experience.
- Capacity to provide intellectual leadership to guide staff, as well as ability to build trust, manage, lead and motivate a large and diversified body of staff in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, as well as exercise supervision and control and ensure continuous training and development of staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, both orally and in writing.
- Proven skills in administration and the management of financial and human resources.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and management abilities, including capacity to administer extensive programmes and financial resources, as well as to exercise appropriate supervision and control.
- Organizational skills, including in establishing plans and priorities, and in implementing them effectively, as well as in devising implementation plans.
- Excellent knowledge and drafting skills in English and good knowledge of French. Training will be mandatory in order to acquire the required level of the second working language in a reasonable time-frame.
Under the overall authority of the Director-General and the direct supervision of the Director of the Division of Field Support and Coordination, as regards management, administration and reporting, and the Assistant Director-General for Africa as regards representational functions, as well as in close consultation with Programme Assistant Directors-General, the Director of the UNESCO Multisectoral Regional Office in Abuja will expand and manage the multidisciplinary programme of this Office and provide intellectual, strategic and operational leadership in planning and implementing activities, responding to the priority needs of Member States covered by the Office (Nigeria, Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Togo) in all UNESCO’s fields of competence (education, the sciences, culture and communication and information). The incumbent will serve as UNESCO’s focal point with the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and promote integrated sub regional approaches in line with UNESCO’s commitments under the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD). The incumbent will ensure the effective and efficient management of the Office’s human resources, administration and operations, in line with the Organization’s policies and procedures, including the application of effective internal controls. The incumbent will supervise the Heads of the UNESCO National Offices in Cote d’Ivoire and Ghana. The incumbent also will participate, or ensure the participation of the Office, in all meetings and activities of United Nations Country Teams (UNCT).
Apply Before: (Midnight Paris Time) : July 30, 2016
How to Apply: Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply