Mercy Corps Nigeria is recruiting to fill the vacant positions below:
- Senior Program Officer – WASH
- Program Officer – Electronic Platform & Vendor Relations
- ICT Intern
Senior Program Officer – WASH Job Vacancy at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Job Title: Senior Program Officer – WASH
Locations: Yola, Adamawa or Biu, Borno
General Position Summary
- The WASH Senior Program Officer is responsible for the day-to-day implementation of water, sanitation and hygiene sector interventions including water and sanitation infrastructure rehabilitation and hygiene promotion activities in three (3) states in Northeast Nigeria (Adamawa, Borno, and Gombe).
- The Senior Program Officer will work closely with the Team Leader, Head of Office, and support staff (including finance, operations, and administration) to ensure that activities are implemented according to schedule, budget and required quality.
- The position includes the daily management of WASH program staff.
- The WASH Senior Program Officer reports directly to the Team Leader and will work closely with the WASH Engineer (consultant), and CFW and Nutrition & Hygiene Program Officers.
Essential Job Functions
Strategy and Vision:
- Recognize opportunities to evolve the current humanitarian portfolio into a more effective and impactful portfolio addressing the changing needs of conflict-affected populations.
- Contribute to country-wide strategy development.
Representation and Coordination:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with communities, local authorities, WASHCOMs, and other stakeholders.
- Ensure effective coordination with relevant working groups, UN, ICRC and colleagues I/NGO agencies.
- Oversee the implementation of all WASH sector activities and administration of the teams across three field locations;
- Develop activity workplans, manage day-to-day activity implementation, and conduct quality control visits;
- With guidance from the WASH Engineer, design and oversee technical and social WASH assessment tools;
- Analyze assessment data and develop appropriate messaging related to water, sanitation and hygiene behaviors in targeted communities;
- Prepare detailed project designs, estimates and drawings as required, including lists of materials, labor, and technical specifications;
- In collaboration with the WASH Engineer, assist the procurement team to prepare tender documents, review the technical profiles of contractors, and ensure materials procured meet required quality standards;
- Ensure the use of construction supervision check lists for each site to document progress and quality standards;
- Conduct regular monitoring at WASH infrastructure project sites;
- Promote community involvement and ownership in all water and sanitation activities and infrastructure projects and advise on hand-over protocols and activities;
- In collaboration with the WASH Engineer, perform final inspection of completed WASH infrastructure projects, and ensure that technical, safety and environmental standards have been met;
- Establish and maintain effective program reporting, document filing, and monitoring and evaluation systems (to track, analyze and report on results) for both internal and external use;
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate;
- Ensure program filing system is in place, adheres to internal and donor regulation and filing is regularly maintained;
- Adhere to all MC policies related to security, operations and transport/ logistics information related to programming.
- Supervise, hire and orient team members, as necessary;
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence;
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews;
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives;
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Identify any gaps or capacity needs within the team and ensure training and capacity building is incorporated into program planning.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with all donor and Mercy Corps regulations;
- Oversee the WASH sector activity budgets and project monthly cash flow.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership;
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Experience
- MA/MS/MBA in relevant field required.
- Minimum 4-5 years of experience working on the development, implementation, administration and compliance of a field-based international development or humanitarian program; specifically in WASH.
- Prior experience implementing emergency WASH programs is essential, preferably in urban settings.
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders to identify beneficiaries according to criteria required.
- Experience with running assessments, monitoring and evaluation and other learning efforts required.
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local and international government officials, local civil society organizations, other international organizations, the media and the public.
- Commitment to renewing and maintaining knowledge of best practices
- Demonstrated training and facilitation experience
- Ability to work under pressure
- Demonstrated strengths in analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is required.
- Must be able to work independently and show initiative. Strong leadership, communication, and management skills are essential.
- Understanding of humanitarian principles and their application to program implementation is required. Ability to supervise, mentor and coach a diverse team.
- Must be able to problem solve and multi-task on a range of administrative and programmatic issues.
Application Closing Date
7th July, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to:
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
***NOTE***: Click NEXT to go to the next vacant position.