United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) is recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: National Programme Officer – Terrorism Prevention
Job Location: Abuja
Educational Qualification: Advanced university Degree (Master’s degree) in Law, Criminology or closely related fields.
Years of Experience:
- A minimum of 4 years of progressive responsible experience in legal, criminal justice, crime prevention or closely related rule of law work.
- Experience in project management and implementation is highly desirable. Knowledge of UNODC work and work experience in the United Nations System would be an asset.
- Work experience in substantive liaison and coordination in these areas would be an asset. Work experience in implementing capacity building activities for law enforcement and criminal justice entities in Nigeria is highly desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of other UN official languages is an asset.
- This position is located in the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Country Office in Abuja, Nigeria (CONIG).
- Provide support for the project’s overall management and coordination.
- S/he will work in close teaming with other colleagues of the project, in CONIG and in the Terrorism Prevention Branch of UNODC, to create synergy and achieve full coordination of project activities and effective project partnerships, especially with the project’s Nigerian stakeholders
- Under the overall guidance of the UNODC Representative and the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the National Programme Officer (Terrorism Prevention) (NPO) will:
- Provide substantive inputs for project activities aimed at strengthening criminal justice responses to terrorism in Nigeria;
- Carry out substantive and organizational liaison especially with the project’s national stakeholders; and
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will carry out the following tasks:
- Provide substantive input on legal, criminal justice, terrorism prevention and rule of law aspects for assigned areas and activities of the project. This will entail researching, compiling and preparing substantive papers, draft concept notes, draft agendas etc. as well as assisting in the substantive conduct of project activities.
- Carry out substantive and organizational liaison especially with the project’s national stakeholders. Coordinate and liaise regularly on project activities planning and implementation with relevant national partners (including designated focal points and other senior professionals), and international partners present in Nigeria.
- When required, participate in missions and support visiting delegations from UNODC headquarters, other relevant offices and partner countries
- Provide support for the project’s overall management and coordination. Contribute to the preparation of project reports, including reports on budget expenditure. Contribute to the preparation of funding proposals, reports, technical briefings, background papers, briefing notes, and speeches related to the project.
- Carry out programmatic and administrative tasks necessary for the achievement of expected results of the project. Provide the necessary substantive and administrative support to project activities as required.
- Facilitate the smooth and effective flow of communication with national entities, by maintaining regular contact, providing required information, etc. Support the Project Coordinator and Project Staff in following-up communication with beneficiary institutions, including official letters, request for technical assistance, and the process of identifying participants and national experts, including trainers, for activities under the project.
- Advise the Project Coordinator and Project Staff of local considerations and realities for proper and effective project implementation, as well as on ways to strengthen partnerships with beneficiary institutions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Professionalism: Demonstrated professional competence in legal, crime prevention and criminal justice, and rule of law matters, as well as, knowledge of related policies and practices at the national, regional and international levels; knowledge of programme management cycle, including monitoring and reporting; ability to identify and contribute to the solution of problems/issues. Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Teamwork: Proven interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity. Works collaboratively with colleagues within and outside of UNODC to achieve organizational goals; solicits inputs by genuinely valuing others ideas and expertise; demonstrates willingness to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing: Able to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate, and monitor work while prioritizing competing demands; able to work on tight deadlines; knowledge on how to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and projects as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Communication: Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively with a range of audiences, including ability to prepare reports and make presentations in a variety of fora; ability to conduct presentations by clearly formulating positions on issues, articulating options concisely, conveying maximum necessary information as well as making and defending recommendations. Possesses excellent drafting and communication skills with proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to match style and format to audience.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Apply Before: 23rd June, 2016.
How to Apply: Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply