United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is recruiting to fill the vacant positions below:
- Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP)/HAO Officer
- Information Management Data Associate
- Humanitarian Affairs Officer
- National Programme Officer – Terrorism Prevention
Driver/Clerk job vacancy at United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Job Title: Driver/Clerk
Job ID: 4260
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Contract Duration: Initial duration of one year
- This position is located in the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Country Office in Abuja, Nigeria (CONIG). The incumbent will be responsible for providing reliable and safe driving services to the Core Project Unit.
- S/he will also be responsible for providing clerical and administrative support to various project staff and to the CONIG as required, including day-to-day office project work as well as during events such as workshops, meetings, conferences, seminars, and training activities.
- The driver will be under the overall supervision of the Programme Coordinator and direct supervision of the Finance / Administration Associate
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide reliable and secure driving services to the Core Project Unit and CONIG personnel, as required.
- Ensure cost-savings through, amongst others, proper use and accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs.
- Ensure proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through minor repairs, timely change of oil, check of tyres, brakes, car washing etc.
- Report any mechanical fault in good time for repairs to be carried out and cross check to see that the repairs were well done.
- At all time, make sure that copies of vehicle insurance including office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit and necessary spare parts are available.
- Ensure that all immediate measures required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents
- Learn and comply with all security requirements, when driving and using the vehicle
- Support the project team by providing administrative and clerical support as requested, including in preparing, copying, collating, binding, filing and distributing documents, mail and notifications, as instructed
- Provide logistical and administrative support during events and meetings, as required
- Support hospitality and orientation support of personnel and other individual, especially of new staff and visitors and guests of the Project Unit and the Country Office, as required
- Ensure security and safety at all times especially while driving and respond to radio checks/calls at all times.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Basic mechanical knowledge leading to an ability to perform minor repairs of vehicle and also analyze any malfunctions and repairs performed on the vehicle accurately; sound knowledge of the Federal Capital City and its environs as well as good knowledge of some of the main cities in the Federal Republic of Nigeria; basic book-keeping knowledge and understanding, especially with regard to spreadsheets; ease of working in a multi-cultural, multi-dimensional, fast paced environment with competing demands; demonstrates the values of the United Nations, particularly integrity, efficiency, respect for gender and diversity, in daily activities and behaviours; shows pride in work and in assigned role; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of main area of responsibility; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing timeframes and deadlines; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks; meets timeframes for delivery of goods, transportation requests, or services to client.
- Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity. Works collaboratively with colleagues within and outside of UNODC; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
- Able to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor work while prioritizing competing demands; able to work on tight deadlines; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and projects as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education, relevant trade test, and valid driving license
- A minimum of 2 years work experience as driver.
- Sound knowledge of UN and the Federal Republic of Nigeria driving requirements.
- Demonstrable skills in carrying out minor vehicle repairs are necessary.
- Prior experience working as a driver/clerk in an international, national or NGO office is required.
- Work experience with the UN or other international institutions with stringent accountability rules would be an asset.
- Fluency in English, with excellent drafting skills, is essential. Knowledge of other main languages in Nigeria would be an advantage
Application Closing Date
23rd June, 2016.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
***NOTE***: Click NEXT to go to the next vacant position.