UNDP is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Assistant – Nigeria Partnership on Strengthening Criminal Justice Responses to Terrorism (under global project “Strengthening the Legal Regime against Terrorism”): GLOR35
Job Location: Abuja
- Secondary education with a recognized professional certificate in Personnel Administration, Account/Finance or related fields. University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Personnel Administration, Social Sciences or related field is an added advantage
Years of Experience: A minimum of 6 years of progressively responsible professional experience in administrative assistance of project implementation and management preferably in a civil service, NGO, or international organisation environment.
- Computer literacy, specifically advanced skills in MS Office Suite.
- Work experience in the United Nations System or European Union -funded projects would be an asset.
- This position is located in the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Country Office in Abuja, Nigeria (CONIG).
- Working together in a team with other project support staff in CONIG, the incumbent will be responsible for providing operational, organizational, logistical and administrative support to the project. This will involve planning and executing various operational, logistical and administrative requirements for the project activities; organizing travel of project personnel, experts and participants; preparing cost estimates and maintaining expenditure estimates; producing and disseminating documents in a timely manner; supporting on-site conduct of activities; preparing and providing general secretarial support, etc.
- As required, s/he will also provide support for the procurement and the budgetary and financial management support for the project.
- The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of designated project officer(s) and the guidance of the Project Coordinator and overall guidance of the UNODC Representative and Head of Programme.
- The level for the post is SB3/2 (equivalent to G5).
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will carry out the following tasks:
- Provide operational, organizational, logistical and administrative support to the project;
- Work with the Project Coordinator, other project officers and the lead Programme Assistant to ensure that the required administrative and organizational support is provided for the various, often simultaneous, project activities.
- Assist the supervisor(s) and other assigned project officers to carry out their responsibilities for the project by carrying out a variety of support functions.
- Identity and carry out required organizational, logistical and administrative arrangements for assigned clusters of project activities, such as seminars, workshops and meetings. This will entail: determining service requirements and arranging for their procurement, organizing travel and accommodation of project personnel, experts and participants; preparing and timely dissemination of documents; supporting on-site conduct of activities, etc.
- Provide support to the UNODC Security Focal Point on UNODC’s personnel security.
- Advise and make arrangements for shipment and receipt of office and project supplies and equipment and household effects; including customs clearance.
- Provide advice and assist staff members and their dependants by processing requests for visas, identity cards, driving licenses and other necessary personnel-related documents in accordance with the requirements of the United Nations and the country of the duty station location.
- Perform other duties as required, such as general correspondence, attend meetings and prepare minutes of meetings, etc.
- Provide support for the procurement and the budgetary and financial management for the project: work closely with the Budget and Finance Assistant of the project, support work in this area as needed
- Work closely with the Lead Programme Associate and serve as back-up as required
- Prepare cost estimates and maintain expenditure estimates and overviews for project activities.
- Assist in formal and informal communications and following up contact with Government institutions and authorities, local representatives of other United Nations organizations, NGOs, civil society organizations, resource persons and the media regarding UNODC mandates and project matters.
- Maintain regular liaison and coordination within CONIG and with the Terrorism Prevention Branch and the Regional Section for Africa and the Middle-East; liaise with UNDP and other UN-related organizations on administrative matters linked to project implementation.
- Collect, compile and maintain files on information related to project activities, produce inputs for project reports and relevant information networks and maintain rosters of institutions and experts; maintain detailed records on project activities, including agendas, list of participants, experts’ contact details and reports.
- Assist in proper assets management, monitoring, recording and disposal, in preparing Receipt and Inspection (R & I) reports for submission to relevant procurement units and auditing missions
- Assist in and prepare programmes and logistics for visiting experts, missions, delegations and donor representatives.
- Carry out other tasks as assigned.
- Expertise in project administration and organization including sound knowledge and understanding of concepts and approaches relevant to budgetary and financial management; knowledge of the financial rules and regulations of the United Nations as well as familiarity with UN policies and procedures as they relate to programme budgeting and financial administration; demonstrated professional competence and mastery of administrative processes; ability to perform a range of administrative functions, including event planning and organizing and human resources administration; ability to map out potential risks and make contingencies, as required.
- Shows pride in work and achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; and demonstrable commitment to the values of the United Nations, particularly integrity in daily activities and behaviors.
- Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues within and outside of UNODC to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
- Able to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor work while prioritizing competing demands; able to work on tight deadlines; knowledge on how to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and projects as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Takes ownership of responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost, and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
Apply Before: 20th June, 2016.
How to Apply: Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply