The U.S. Embassy in Abuja is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position below in Facilities Maintenance Section (FAC):
Job Title: Trade Helper, FSN- 03/FP-BB
Job Location: Abuja, Facilities Maintenance Section (FAC).
Educational Qualification: Not Specified
Years of Experience: Not Specified
Note: All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Completion of Elementary/Primary School or Basic training in one or more of the building maintenance trades is required.
- Knowledge of safe working practices is required.
- Ability to differentiate hand tools is required.
- Must have a valid Nigeria driver’s license.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in one or more building maintenance trades: Electrician, Plumber, Mason, A/C Technician, Carpenter and Painter are required.
- Level II (Limited knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English Language is required.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility.
- Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
- If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
OR – Ordinarily Resident – N2,677,993 p.a (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-03
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – AEFM, EFM/MOH – US$22,502 (Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-BB.
Job Specification(s): Basic Functions of the Position
- Incumbent prepares and types reports for repairs on vacant or new housing units.
- S/he liaises with the Realty Specialist on repairs and installation of furniture and appliance in USG residencies.
- The incumbent will conduct final inspection on new or vacant housing units for occupation by USG personnel and serves as back-up to the Realty Specialist.
- Reports to the Realty Specialist on most matters, but receives additional supervision from the General Service Office (GSO) for Housing
Apply Before: 17th June, 2016.
How to Apply: Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
Submit Application to: [email protected]
Click here to download the Position Descriptions (PDF)
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required work and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration. A U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of mission (com) authority does have to Be assigned officially to post.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact applicants who are being considered