World Health Organization (WHO) is recruiting to fill the vacant positions below:
- National Professional Officer, Health Economic
- National Professional Officer (Administrative and Programme Officer)
National Professional Officer, Health Economic Job Vacancy at WHO
Job Title: National Professional Officer, Health Economic
Vacancy Notice No: AFRO/16/FT439
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organization unit: AF_NGA Nigeria (AF_NGA) /AF_NG3 Technical Units (AF_NG3)
Objectives of the Programme
- The goal of Health Systems Strengthening programme (HSS) is to provide technical guidance and support for the development of evidence based health policies and plans and their implementation using the Primary Health Care (PHC) values and principles.
- The programme aims to improve health outcomes through enhancing capacities for and addressing key constraints related to governance, leadership and stewardship; people-centered integrated services; health workforce; health financing; health commodities (such as equipment, supplies and medicines); partnerships for health; health information systems and research for health.
Description of Duties
Under the overall Guidance of the WHO Country Representative, and direct supervision of the Health Systems Adviser at the WHO Country Office in Abuja, the incumbent will carry out the following duties.
1.) Support the national authorities in strengthening the health financing system
- Support and facilitate the development of NHPSP and its costing for the medium term budgetary planning, including health financing situation analysis, macroeconomic analysis, identification of potential resources and costing of different scenarios;
- Support the development of the national health financing strategy which addresses the NHPSP
- Support the annual budget processes in the Ministry of Health and support capacity building as appropriate
- Support and build capacity for resource tracking processes including the national health accounts, public expenditure reviews etc
- Support and facilitate the discussion between Ministries of Finance (or equivalent), Planning and Health regarding health financing reforms and the budgeting of health policies in the macroeconomic and fiscal environment;
2.) Support governance processes in the health sector
- Support and facilitate the country health policy dialogue process for development of national health policies, strategies and plans with special emphasis on Government’s UHC through PHC policy priority
- Support and facilitate the translation of the NHPSP into measurable operational plans, (at programme and/or subnational sub-national levels and for specific health systems areas, such as sustainable health financing);
- Support and facilitate the development (consensus) of PHC guidelines and implementation tools;
- Support accountability and monitoring mechanisms including the annual joint review processes
- Support analysis and synthesis of evidence for policy and review processes
- Support the national authorities in efforts to strengthen coordination mechanisms in the health sector
3.) Support the planning, budgeting, monitoring and resource mobilization processes for the WHO Country office and within the wider United Nations System in Nigeria
- Facilitate and coordinate the biennial operational planning process in the country office
- Facilitate the periodic monitoring process for the WHO biennial work-plans including the mid-term review and the end of biennium assessment
- Facilitate the WCO compliance with reporting requirements to external donors as necessary
- Support the implementation and monitoring of the social capital development pillar of the UNDAF III
- Support WHO’s participation and contribution to the Delivery as One process in selected states
- Facilitate and coordinate WHO’s contribution to the development of the UNDAF IV
- Any other relevant duty assigned by the Supervisor
- University degree in Medicine, Public Health, Political Science or Economics.
- Advanced university degree in public health, health economics or other related area.
Verification of Educational qualifications:
- “In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/.
- Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually”.
- Technical expertise in planning, monitoring and evaluating health systems.
- Sound knowledge of health financing.
- Demonstrated ability to provide sound methodological and technical advice and guidance to multiple stakeholders and partners in countries.
- Demonstrated ability to analyse political contexts and interact and negotiate effectively with multiple interests at the political level.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with the Ministry of Health and with a wide variety of stakeholders at the country level
- Proven ability to interact effectively at the political level with multiple high level
- Demonstrated ability to innovate, integrate, synthesize and communicate complex concepts and ideas verbally and in writing.
- IT Proficiency.
- Ensuring the effective use of resources,
- Producing results
- Knowing and managing yourself
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in policy, planning, managing or developing health systems.
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of the Nigerian health system and health financing context.
- Specific experience in Health Financing.
- Previous experience in WHO, UN or other international organizations.
- Essential: Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), dependency benefits, pension plan, health insurance scheme, and 30 days annual leave.
- Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration.
Annual salary: (Net of tax) at single rate
Application Closing Date
10th August, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply online
***NOTE***: Click NEXT to go to the next vacant position.