Mercy Corps is recruiting to fill the following vacant positions:
- Program Assistant – YOU-SB
- Program Officer – YOU-SB
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer – YOU-SB
- Deputy Program Manager – YOU-SB
- Communication and Reporting Officer -YOU-SB
Program Assistant – YOU-SB Job Vacancy at Mercy Corps
Job Title: Program Assistant -YOU-SB
Location: Abuja, Nigeria (With frequent travels to other project locations in Borno State)
Start Date: 1 August 2016 (8 months)
- With funding from the Department for International Development (DfID), Mercy Corps will implement the “Youth Stabilization Initiative for Borno (YOU-SB)”, which seeks to address the grievances and unequal economic opportunities that leave youth vulnerable to recruitment and radicalization by violent extremist groups.
- YOU-SB will support civil society, government actors, community and religious leaders, and youth to increase community resilience to prevent the spread of violent extremism in Borno State.
- By facilitating dialogue and collaboration among the stakeholders to prevent violence, the program’s goals are aligned with the objectives outlined by UK DfID 2014-2016 Operational Strategy, which aims to support progress in Northern Nigeria in order to promote regional stability in the Sahel.
- The proposed program will focus on both “push” and “pull” factors that drive youth to participate in violence, including governance grievances, unequal economic opportunities and vulnerability to extremist messaging.
- YOU-SB puts emphasis on evidence generation and program learning, and the key program components have the potential for smart, significant scale-up beyond the life of this initial eight-month program.
General Position Summary
- This position will provide technical support from the country head office in Abuja to members of the program team, mainly based in Maiduguri, Borno State.
- S/he will provide linkages and logistical support to the team.
- S/he will coordinate project activities, manage data from the field, and develop timely reports and communication materials.
Essential Job Functions
- Coordinate all activities and update on the progress of You-SB presence at the country head office.
- Work with the Communication and Reporting Officer to design, develop, and deploy Information, Education, and Communication materials including newsletters and bulletins for effective visibility of the program donor and Mercy Corps.
- Develop monthly forecasts and track the budget of supplies and equipment to ensure timely/prompt implementation of all You-SB activities.
- Will represent Mercy Corps at official functions and occasionally update a range of stakeholders on the goals and activities of the You-SB.
Data Collation, Analysis and Finance Processes:
- Collate beneficiary data from the field, including following up to ensure documentation from the field office in Maiduguri is processed on time.
- Ensure that the payments that will guarantee the smooth implementation of the program.
- Analyze feedback from partners, employees, and beneficiaries and ensure that potential complaints are resolved promptly.
Report Writing, Documentation and Office Administration:
- Provide timely feedback to the department’s leadership on agreed landmarks through monthly, quarterly, and periodic reports as necessary.
- Maintain and continually update documentation for the You-SB project (Google Drive and physical files).
- Act as the procurement focal person, ensuring all You-SB procurements are made appropriately and on time, and follow up to ensure delivery to the requesting source.
- Other duties as assigned by the team.
- As part of Mercy Corps’ agency-wide Organizational Learning Initiative, all team members are responsible for spending 5% of their work time in formal and/or non-formal professional learning activities.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our participants and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of field projects.
Knowledge and Experience:
- The successful candidate must be able to work independently and show initiative; experience in an NGO setting; report writing; Ability to make improvements to preexisting systems;
- Strong computer (MS Office), filing, and organizational skills;
- Advance knowledge of written and spoken English and Hausa is essential;
- Willingness to sometimes travel to the project areas in three Local Government Areas (LGAs) (Maiduguri, Biu, and Damboa) in Borno State.
The ideal candidate should also possess the following;
- Qualifications in any of the Social Sciences, or relevant field, with a strong foundation in development and CVE programming preferred.
- Minimum 1-2 years of work experience in a related role.
- Fluency in English and Hausa are required. Knowledge of Kanuri is a plus.
- Knowledge of program development, implementation, and reporting.
- Familiarity and experience working in conflict zones and fragile communities is a plus.
Supervisory Responsibility: N/A Reports directly to: the Project Officer
Works directly with: The You-SB program team
- The successful Program Assistant should have the ability to multi-task, set priorities, and work under tight deadlines within a complex team.
- S/he will demonstrate strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills and be committed to the values and mission of Mercy Corps.
- S/he will take initiative and contribute to team efforts, as well as demonstrate an ability to communicate, assume leadership, and make solid decisions.
Living Conditions/Environmental Conditions:
- The Program Assistant will be based in Abuja with occasional visits to all program locations in Borno State, where security may be particularly difficult at times.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
28th July, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to:
Note: All applications must include the position title in the subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage residents in Borno and surroundings to apply for this position.
***NOTE***: Click NEXT to go to the next vacant position.