Mercy Corps is recruiting to fill the vacant position:
Job Position: Head of Office
Educational Qualification: A Bsc or Master’s Degree in relevant field.
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE: At least 3-5 years of relevant project management experience.
- Sound understanding procurement, administration, and logistics management systems. Basic understanding of financial systems.
- Experience in security management in conflict areas;
- Commitment to local capacity building and team coordination.
- Experience working with host governments and INGOs; familiarity with international humanitarian operations, coordination structures, and the mandates of UN agencies, and other NGOs.
- Good organizational and management skills and the ability to anticipate project needs.
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with others in a team environment, and lead a diverse group of national and international staff.
- Must be able to strategically advise staff on program and office activities and security issues.
- Demonstrated proficiency with the MS Office software (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required.
- Fluent English; Hausa a plus.
The successful Head of Office will have proven experience working effectively in emergency contexts. S/he will have strong leadership qualities and will have demonstrated previous experience in building team commitment toward the achievements of program objectives. It will be essential to have experience in setting up systems and procedures in difficult environments, as well as good understanding on what makes systems and procedures work. Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational, and prioritization skills are critical as are an ability to work in remote environments, an awareness of and sensitivity to multi-cultural international humanitarian work and ability to train and facilitate dialogue among a diverse group of individuals with various skill sets and working styles. S/he must have an ability to creatively problem-solve, to juggle multiple priorities under tight deadlines, and to calmly and diplomatically deal with unexpected and sudden events impacting program operations with patience, tenacity, and a good sense of humor.
Living Conditions/Environmental Conditions
The position will be initially based in Gombe, Gombe state, Nigeria and it requires frequent travel (up to 60%) between field locations in Adamawa and Borno states. Considering the frequent travel from/to different field locations, this position will require flexibility in terms of accommodation and logistics. Housing in the field will be in hotels or guesthouse where available. Security in the field locations require additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously.
Access to good medical services in north east is limited. Phone communication, internet, electricity and water is available but might be erratic.
The location is eligible for hardship and R&R benefits.
Given the nature of the humanitarian response, working hours require flexibility and working through weekends/evenings might be necessary.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all locations
APPLY BEFORE: Not Specified
HOW TO APPLY: Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply