The International Labour Organization is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Employment and Migration Officer
Job Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Educational Qualification: Advanced university Degree in Economics, Business or Public Administration, Social Sciences or other related fields.
Years of Experience:
- Three years’ experience at the national level and two years at the international level in Employment and Labour migration policies, programmes and strategies.
- Experience in Programming would be an advantage.
Other Requirements: Languages:
- Excellent command of English and good knowledge of French.
In addition to the ILO core competencies, this position requires:
- Ability to participate effectively in technical missions and multi-disciplinary teams; capacity to provide first-line technical advice in the area of specialisation; the ability to conceptualise and design research techniques and analyse complex cross-national practices and data sets covering a wide range of issues in the specialised technical field; capability to guide and co-ordinate the work of external collaborators, general service staff or young professionals; ability to prepare reports and publications of a high quality, technically sound with conclusions leading to an action plan and programme development and ability to provide credible implementation assistance to senior specialists in carrying out research, project formulation and implementation.
- Excellent analytical skills. Knowledge of project related concepts and procedures, including formulation, implementation and evaluation.
- Excellent drafting skills.
- Good knowledge of employment and labour migration strategies, policies and programmes, programme formulation, administration and evaluation techniques and practices.
- Knowledge of West African context would be an asset.
- Ability to justify requirements and approaches to problem resolution. Ability to resolve complex problems.
- Good knowledge of financial practices and principles.
- Good knowledge of the programmes and operations of the Organization.
- Ability to communicate effectively with HQ and field structures, ILO constituents and external partners.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
- Evaluation (which may include one or several written tests and a pre-interview competency-based assessment centre) and the interviews will tentatively take place between November 2016 and February 2017.
- Candidates are requested to ensure their availability should they be short listed for further consideration.
Job Specification(s): Introduction
- The position is located in the Abuja Office in Nigeria. The main purpose of the position is to provide technical support andassistance to management, staff, technical specialists and technical cooperation projects, on employment, Labour migration, programme planning and activity implementation reporting.
- S/he will assist in the development of strategies and employment and labour migration policy frameworks for the countries covered under the ILO Country Office, Abuja. The Technical Officer will also technically backstop programmes and projects with employment and labour migration related components. S/he will work in close collaboration with technical specialists and other ROAF staff, the Employment Department and Labour Migration Branch within the Conditions of Work and Equality Department (Work Quality) at ILO Headquarters, local counterparts and UN bodies in the region on issues pertaining to employment and Labour migration.
- The position reports to the Director of the Abuja Country Office. S/he will receive technical guidance and advice from the Employment Department. The position will also coordinate closely and receive technical guidance on all migration related work from MIGRANT under the Conditions of Work and Equality Department (WORKQUALITY) at headquarters.
Description of Duties
- Participate in the formulation and promotion of employment and labour migration strategiesprogrammes, projects and provide technical support to governments, employers and workers organizations and other relevant institutions.
- Support the design and supervision and conduct policy-oriented research on macro-economic and sectoral trends impacting on employment and migration at national levels.
- Provide support to technical programmes with the preparation of programme proposals, analyse and provide information to programme managers on proposals to support decision-making. . Coordinate the technical preparation and organization of outcome-based workplan (OBW) reviews.
- Contribute to the preparation of programme implementation and activity reports, Governing Body reports and long-term plans on the basis of contributions from technical programmes.
- Assist in the identification of emerging employment and labour migration challenges, contribute to solutions and liaise with relevant departments at headquarters, the regional office, executing agencies, governments, social partners and other stakeholders to ensure implementation and to meet targets.
- Contribute to office wide studies on long-term policy issues by collecting and analysing data.
- Contribute to the provision of policy advice to the ECOWAS Commission and member States on labour migration, labour mobility and the labour market dimensions of people’s movements.
- Contribute to and coordinate the production of gender-sensitive policy-oriented research on labour migration, labour mobility and interactions with economic and social policy, including as concerns crisis-related migration or trafficking as relevant.
- Support technical cooperation projects on the integration of employment and migration priorities into their respective work programmes to respond to the defined needs of the constituents as expressed in the DWCPs and on the development of ILO’s knowledge base on employment and migration in the region.
- Undertake such other tasks and responsibilities as may be assigned by the CO Director.
These specific duties are aligned with the relevant ILO generic job description, which includes the following generic duties:
- Undertake research and prepare analytical reports on selected subjects within the area of technical competence.
- Assess country experience (on selected topics) with a view to identifying best practices in finding solutions to problems identified.
- Monitor and coordinate research carried out by external collaborators.
- Act as focal point on a specific field of specialisation.
- Participate in training seminars and workshops as resource person.
- Represent the technical unit at international, regional and national fora.
- Provide technical inputs (articles, reports) for regional, country or related sectoral analyses, ILO reports and publications.
- Provide technical backstopping, project implementation and monitoring.
- Undertake missions for the purpose of providing technical recommendations on selected topics following ILO established guidelines, manuals and standards.
Apply Before: 1st November, 2016.
How to Apply: Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply